The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
PurpleHaze

Cactus under lights

This rainy weather has made me think that perhaps I should grow my cactus garden, indoors under a 400w metal halide light.

Has anybody had any experience with this?

Also, I'm having trouble choosing a systemic fungicide, which brands has everybody had the most success with?

[This message has been edited by PurpleHaze (edited 03 February 2001).]

Guest Monkey Shines

I havent had any experience with growing under artificial light but a book I have reccomends using flourescent lights or spot lamps suspended 40cm above the average height of the cactus. You will need a timer to simulate day and night. You will also need to create an artificial winter period where less light is made available. This is particularly important with some genera amongst the cactaceae, also they will need to be cooler so they can rest, otherwise they will not flower. With other cacti from equatorial regions this is not important. With sufficient warmth and light throughout the year they should flower non-stop. 16 hours of light each day for spring summer and autumn and 14 for winter should give the best results. This is more than the would recieve in nature but it gives good results

Guest Ramon

If you are going to grow them indoors then you shall have to plant in a container.

Why not leave continue to grow outside and just move the containers indoors when you are worried about the rain.

Sulphur powder is a good fungicide. Don't know about using a systemic fungicide just in case the cacti are acidentally eaten some time in the future.

Ramon is right....

If It rains more than 3 days I just cover my lophophoras, my pedros I leave them in the rain for an entire week or more... no problem.

(*depending on the amount of sunshine they recieve)

Wow this is from a while back.

Since I originally posted almost a year ago I have done what Ramon recommended and now I bring them in under the light on rainy days.

Thanks for the late responses. (Better late than never).

Guest Mesqualero

would growing San pedro under lights make them grow faster and healthier?

I don't think so, Mesq. Definitely not here in Queensland, where you've got this massive sun and heat. Cacti thrive here, and it hasn't been raining a whole lot lately. I avtuallt think perhaps I should water mine more now in summer, even giving them 2 waterings a week doesn't appear to be enough, since their soil feels almost always dry....

Guest Mesqualero

Yeah good point about the decent sun we get,

I dont think you will need to water yours for a while after the rains we had on the weekend, decent bit of rain eh