The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
woof woof woof

trichocereus glaucus

trichocerues glaucus

Please let me know if this spp of trich has any Etno value.....

I asked before but no one seemed to be aware. I have my suspicions that that there is a good chance that it does.

never heard of it. is it a synonym?

http://trout.yage.net/sc/glaucus/glaucindex.htm

As far as I know there are two kinds of cacti named glaucus. A Cerues and a trichocerues.

According to Trout , there is a good chance that it is active.

[This message has been edited by brian (edited 22 May 2002).]

Guest reville

While you are all looking through yourrich guides can someone tell me a little about T gladiatus? Ive seen a big one a t a perth nursery

Originally posted by reville:

While you are all looking through yourrich guides can someone tell me a little about T gladiatus? Ive seen a big one a t a perth nursery

Saw it the other day, pretty massive. The rest of there stock seemed pretty shit though since the last time I was there.

Hi MS, Nice pic. I should receive a few glaucus cuts soon. I will post my findings.

hmmm, maybe I can use those neat XTC test kits to find out if it is.... otherwise I'll have my elves check it out for me.

Are there any cactus alkaloids that they should be concerned about????????

Guest Mesqualero

Wow.. XTC kit huh? how would you do that?

I can just see myself roaming the streets, XTC kit in hand testing all the cacti that cross my path.. hehe

Yeah Mesqualero, some test kits... my bad (not only for xtc) can check for psylocin , psylocibin , amphetamines ,mdma and other related or less(some none related (not sure)) related compounds.

---------------------------------------------

My question is , are there any dangerous cacti alkaloids discovered in the tricho spp wink.gif">

Guest Mesqualero

Sorry...communication problem... yeah I know that some XTC test kits can detect mescaline..im just wondering what kind of process you would put Cactus material through to test it..

like just cut a piece off and drop some of the test liquid onto it??

I am seriously considering doing what i mentioned.... prowling my neighbourhood testing unsuspecting cacti biggrin.gif

WACH OUT CACTUS LOVERS...

hehe jk

Guest Monkey Shines

Could someone point me in the right direction for some cactus nurseries in Perth? I saw one called frasiers gift and garden centre with a number of 30cm sickly T.Scops and a few 1.5m ones for $50 , the guy taking care of them retired and they werent getting new stock.

Originally posted by Monkey Shines:

a few 1.5m ones for $50

grab them. Sounds like a very good price....

Guest Monkey Shines

It does seem like a good price but they were really sick, they were half yellow and very soft, I went there a while ago so they might be all dead by now.

That's probably Knize's T. glaucus. Looks like a fairly indistinct T. peruvianus. Here's what is most commonly referred to as T. glaucus...

429789928_f0587723de_o.jpg

429791996_f698b11288_o.jpg

~Michael~

• Like 3

Has anyone grown sacred succulents T. glaucus from seed? I have some less than a year old seedlings growing plus one on peres. Very eager to see how they develop with age

I have a feeling i have 2 or 3 tiny wee ones Nemisty. Way too small compared to what they should be, i kinda mistreated them.

Would love to see your grafts bro.

Hey mutant!! What are the mutants in the background of your last photo?

I have one and would love to know what it might be.

Cheers Michaal. Very nice plant , reminds a bit Harissia jusberti in the phenotype.

hey boggy

they're Cereus peruvianus monstrosa from seed

I have a batch of 1.5 year old T Glaucus plants from SS. Will take a photo at some stage (I do apologize for being absolutely shockingly late at taking photos)

That's probably Knize's T. glaucus. Looks like a fairly indistinct T. peruvianus. Here's what is most commonly referred to as T. glaucus...

429789928_f0587723de_o.jpg

429791996_f698b11288_o.jpg

~Michael~

All my T Glaucuseses (hehe) rotted away unfortunately,.... they were from an order from Knize,.. and I must say they looked rather different then the ones you have posted here Michael. The T. Glaucus cuttings I got from Knize had less spines per areole,.. and the spines it did have were really long........ I must say that Knize was famous for screwing things up but my order back then was of many different Trich spp.... and one thing was for sure..... the ones labled T. Glaucus were trichs with very distinct features. Let me see if I can find an old pic.

this looks allot more like the ones I was sold as T. Glaucus by Karel Knize

http://www.sacredcactus.com/thumb_comparisons/Trichocereus_glaucus.jpg

Trichocereus_glaucus.jpg

Edited by woof woof woof

I also have a KK336 I bought from SAB as a seed grown seedling I guess, and it's quite distinct from other peruvians, but definately not like the special phenotype Michael posted.

I posted that photo of those sedlings, toshow the one that is showing yellow spines and blueing. Most of the others are greenbodied and most have darker brown spines.

Rather than believing its this or that, I was beeing happy that the seedlings showed different traits/colours ect.

They might prove to be some macrogonoid or even cuzcoensis. I thinks its pretty early for an ID. Later in the season maybe?

Sacred Succulents says this about T. glaucus...

"Bushy cactus that grows to 4-6′ tall then tends to go prostrate. Blue-gray stems with 7-9 ribs and spines as long as 1.5″. The spines are at first amber red then turn black and eventually gray. White night-blooming flowers. A desireable and seldom seen species native to southern Peru."

Knize's and Sacred Cacti's T. glaucus look like T. peruvianus when you don't discount the quite common natural variability of the species. Sacred Cacti's source was probably Knize. I think the name mix up is a damn shame; I wish it would go by "T. peruvianus cv. glaucus" if anything, but I don't even like this.

Ritter's plant was definintely not like that of Knize or Sacred Cacti.

http://trout.yage.net/sc/Ritter_1981_glaucus_English.html

~Michael~