The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Rune

george bush don't like black people

Gusto - sorry, just realsied a really important point I missed. It's a cultural thing and might not only explain why australians probably feel a lot stronger about this.

In australia our greatest heros are sports heros. After that it is our SES/Firefighters/Ambos. For most australians the armed forces are a removed concept and hence the people serving in it are less important to us than those who save our children/houses/loved ones.

I might be wrong, but my impression is that the army is at first place in the US, or at least pretty close to sharing it with the sports heros. Much of US culture revolves around war at all ages.

This is also reflected in funding. While the emergency services are always underfunded, so is our army. The 'behind the scenes emergency work you say is not regarded as flashy is indeed a lot more flashy to australians than the army is to us. So, I think a lot of it has to do with where your cultural priorities are.

And please don't think that any of my attacks on the inadequate responses is any reflection of the heroic people who were working on the ground. It is a reflection of the pencil pushers in the dept of homeland security and FEMA.

No offense taken Torsten, in fact I agree with most of what you've said. I generally steer clear of political and religous debates because many people are easily offended when their views are challenged. I prefer to leave the shouting matches to others.

You're on target about this being a disaster of our own making to a large degree here in the US. The possible remedies are neither easy nor will they come cheap. It's my understanding that the New Orleans city gov't has been in Democratic hands for 20yrs, so there's blame enough for all.

Democracy only works well when the citizens are realists who are willing to sacrifice personal gain for the common good. Seems we've become too soft for the hard truths. I doubt anyone from either of our political parties could get elected nowadays if they were straightforward about what really needed to be done, and what each individual would have to give up to set things on a better path for the nation.

i think we all have as much blood on our hands as george.w.

sure, this war in iraq could be/is about oil.

but who has provided that overwhelming need for oil?? us,the 'consumers' everytime we start a mower,our car etc we are providing a demand on a non-renewable resource-its our 'choices' as 'consumers' that are providing this demand. What if evryone 'chose' to stop using oil products? could we do it? i say yes, but we would have to change alot of aspects about our lives. and why dont we? coz we are lazy-its so much easier to drive than walk, jog, ride a horse,Start a petrol mower than use a manual one.Sure there are ways to operate these things without oil products, and oil companies may be blocking their implementation, but who is providing the said oil companies with the funds/power to do so? us, the consumers.

I think before everyone starts hating on george bush we should look at the way that our choices in our lives are dictating our future.

But lets all hope that George Bush's way is not the way of the future, but i think the answers lie in us, the consumers-we gotta start thinking for ourselves-as they say, act locally, think globally.

[ 15. September 2005, 23:32: Message edited by: jono ]

nabraxas, that is not my truth. it's what these rap guys are saying. and I'm saying give them a listen, because it's a positive alternative to pointing out what a person believes needs to be fixed in the world in an agressive way.

my truth is only what I know right now. I'm looking at words that I'm typing. I'm typing the word 'word'. I don't even know george bush exists. I believe he does, because as far as I do know, for the world to stay in some kind of order, there has to be a rule that we don't mess around with each other's understanding of reality quite to that extent.

I'm saying check out what they're saying. and it's not what they're saying, it's how they're saying it. what I like is they have a kind of patience, like *sigh* 'how long do we have to wait!?! oh well, we might as well keep making music (which is a product of love) while we suffer', just like the blacks did on the chain gangs. I love rap music, except violent rap music. this could have been made in a gansta style, and it would probably get listened to more, too. people would go 'ALRIIIGHTTTT!!!!! VIOLENCE!!!! NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT!!!!!'.

tell me they wouldn't.

so here's my point - that hatred incites hatred. and people like to have their hatred fueled, by any excuse. it makes them feel better. they begin to not care if the thing fueling it is right or not, they just like the feeling of having that hatred inside them stirred.

[ 16. September 2005, 11:14: Message edited by: Rune ]

gusto:

I'd say those who are so focused on finger pointing and inciting hate might make a more positive contribution by devoting that energy to helping those in need.

possibly. some seem to be a little bitter for some reason however:

http://www.aussurvivalist.com/forum/forum_...p?TID=6841&PN=1

that hatred incites hatred

sorry rune, but i just don't see how you can approve ov a song that peddles untrue hate full propoganda & yet disapprove ov an obviously faked humorous picture.

i say "untrue" because Bush has nothing against any breed ov American; it's the same as anyware--

it's always the poor who are left to fend for themselves.

I'm not necessarily saying they're right. I'm saying there's freedom of speech, but there's different ways of communicating what you have to say.

you and I are disagreeing, and I don't like the tension that both of us have displayed towards each other, but we have managed to reduce the tension into something a little more better to work with. weren't you tempted to go the other way? I know I was. some stuff I wanted to type sure got my point across, but I know it would have sparked feelings in you that would have only reinforced your belief without giving the proper consideration that my viewpoint deserves.

but the thing is, we're talking about serious matters, and if I start making my point by making fun of you, and making everyone laugh at you, can't you see that's not right. for one thing it's a nasty thing for me to do, and another, it will fuel your anger, which I would rather subside. just because your anger towards what I say has subsided doesn't mean you still can't have a differing opinion.

but yes, my point is like the black people's point in that it's mine, and it's up to anyone reading it to decide what they think about it. never in the song do they deny george bush of his dignity. that to me shows a respect that he at least deserves as a human being.

[ 17. September 2005, 00:53: Message edited by: Rune ]

I don't like the tension that both of us have displayed towards each other ok, mate, i'll agree w/that----lifes too short to make enemies.

but i'm still confused. i really am rather dim--honestly---& i honestly have had trouble understanding the points you're trying to make.

i just posted a satirical picture in a thread i thought was critical ov goerge bush's handling ov the whole affair.

--as someone else elsewhere said "it's like he's fiddling while rome burns"--so, ok, the picture wasn't true, but the metaphor it projected carried some truth.

i guess i did mean "duuuhhh" when i said "really???" because i can't see how anyone could take that picture as fact, yet i can imagine a heap ov folks taking the message "george bush don't like black people" as fact. So when you accuse me ov hate mongering for posting the pic, i was kind ov confused.

i'm sooo dim i'm still not sure i understand your point but at least we're trying to reach an understanding eh??

& i really believe that it's cash not colour that's the real issue here.

PS--i've been a fan ov rap since i bought the album "follow the leader" by eric b & rakim when it came out in 88(?)

[ 17. September 2005, 02:05: Message edited by: nabraxas ]

well I did take the photo as fact. at first I thought, 'surely not!', but a part me believed it because of all the incredible things that are seemingly beyond belief in the world. like watching rodney mullen do a kickflip-underflip (incredible!) on a skateboard. how could I just judge NOT TRUE without giving due consideration to the fact that it might be truth? from the crazy things you hear, I thought it could be possible that he would do something like that. and who's to say he won't do something as bad as that tomorrow? I even checked snopes. it just looked real. it was so skilfully done. and you want to call yourself dim.

I was pretty hurt by the fact that I was the only one dumb enough to think this. the thing is, I am in many ways just a kid still. I'm 30 years old, but I am a child at heart. that's why I chose that avatar. I am easily led. you tell me something and I'll trust you on it. I've been hurt so many times in life by believing lies that I've learnt to ONLY completely trust my truth. anything else, there has to be a level of wariness.

[ 17. September 2005, 03:16: Message edited by: Rune ]