The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
jasemateau

hydrogen power

does anyone have plans how to convert your common combustable engine to hydrogen power?

there are site on the net selling plans, but i'd rather ask dudes who are'nt after a capitol gain,

me i'd like to buy heap of shit car to try it out and see how it really works to be honest.

i'd love to get around knowing that i'm not paying one cent on fuel!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I doubt you could convert a 'normal' car into one which uses Hydrogen.

From my understanding Hydrogen in used by the fuel cell to produce electricity. It is not combusted.

When we eventually have Hydrogen cars you can bet your bottom dollar that we are going to be paying to refuel our cars with hydrogen.

i'd love to get around knowing that i'm not paying one cent on fuel!!!!!!!!!!!!!

try a bike

almost all hydrogen is made from fossil fuels these days.....

Try converting your car to alcohol, it would be much easier. You can make your own fuel and some engines require surprisingly little work to get going. I doubt you could easily get the emission control on the car to be legal though.

With hydrogen your surely more likely to blow yourself up then get working vehicle.

Torsten:

almost all hydrogen is made from fossil fuels these days.....

Bingo and not only do you get the green house gases from the CO2 produced when making Hydrogen also you get heaps of leakage at the hydrogen plants and hydrogen is a green house gas to.

quote:

So would I its a pitty hydrogen power costs $$$$$

[ 07. July 2005, 01:48: Message edited by: bloodbob ]

Sodium Borohydride. It is a powerfull reducing agent, with 2 hydrogens to donate. You would have a fuel cell full of Sodium borohydride, made from Borax (Soap), which can be man made, or mined in abundance from the earth.

It is released by a catalyst to provide hydrogen to your engine, only byproducts are hydrogen, water and Sodium tetraborate (Borax), so you end up where you began. Take your borax back to the shop where they turn it back in to sodium borohydride and off you go again!!

Lets see how long till the fuel companies allow this technology to come forth!

• Like 1

when I was at TAFE, every years class got told about a bloke who designed an engine that runs on water. The government put a stop to his plans due to the huge loss of revenue from fuel taxes. Rumour or truth who knows, but you wouldn't put it past the government.

My car runs on gas, not needing to be associated with oil price rises, but it's always increasing in price as petrol does. only about three years ago 30c/Lt was expensive, now its around 45-50c/Lt. Inflation, I think not. :mad:

Wouldn't hydrogen be pretty dangerous in an accident ? I think natural gas would be the way to go , then you could fill up at home on your gas bill !!

quote:

Take your borax back to the shop where they turn it back in to sodium borohydride and off you go again!!

So you intend to burn coal to power the generators to convert borax back to borohydride?

hydrogen is really only very dangerous when in perfect 2:1 ratio with oxygen. At other concentrations it is no more dangerous than petrol.

i obviously did'nt know what i was talking about in reference to hydrogen,

i also have heard many times over the years about a dude in SA driving aroung in a water powered car, the DR carl on triple j has mentioned it a many of times over the years he has been doing the show on thursdays mornings.

this is more of what i was really looking for.

i have no memory of the scientfic chart from high school teachings, but i thought hydrogen was water, am i wrong?

to run a car on water thats just wicked!!!!!!!

Lo all :)

Ive done a little research over the years since I read about a way to supposedly convert your car to run on nothing but water. It still sounds viable, theoretically, but I need more time and space (even just a garage of my own would do) before I can really experiment - and my motivations are currently elsewhere.

Anyway the basic theory of onboard generation from water runs along the lines that you can seperate hydrogen and the oxyegen with electricity - then you can use the gases that are produced in various configurations to attempt to run your car.

There are drawbacks like hydrogen producing water and rusting out you engine and exhaust (which you can work around)

But the benifits of onboard generation is that there is very little hydrogen present in the system at any given time - so even in the envent of a crash you've got no big tank to go bang and obviously that your running your car on water.

If its an area your keen to experiment in Id suggest starting with the idea of using a mix of hydrogen and oxygen made via electrolysis of water and venting the gas into your air intake to try and boost the fuel efficiency of your car. Then takle the problem of producing enough gas to run your car on nothing else.

And your right to try and avoid paying for plans - theres a lot of info out there for free just keep looking.

Yes you will need some form of electricity to turn your sodium borax back to borohydride, but can be done by electrolosis or in a electro tumbler, if we can harness electricity without burning fossil fuels, problem solved

And yes andyamine, We will probably never see this technology because people will be filling up gas tanks with the shit to use in other less well intentioned chemical reactions in their back yards.

If you weren't completely mechanically inept, you could probably convert borax to sodium borohydride using solar power at home by electrolysis?

foolsbreath:

If you weren't completely mechanically inept, you could probably convert borax to sodium borohydride using solar power at home by electrolysis?

Why not just use a battery it would be more efficent seriously generating your reactants by electrolysis defeats the whole purpose of fuel cells.

[ 08. July 2005, 06:02: Message edited by: bloodbob ]

True, some people just prefer combustion type engines :)

Im an avid supporter of hydrogen fueled combustion engines. On of my other internet hobbies is researching free energy type systems. I have some instructions somewhere that supposedly allow you to convert your normal petrol engine to run on hydrogen. It sounds like the thing FS is talking about. Basically you create an cell in your boot that runs off the alternator. You have a fuel tank full of water that has a heap of electrodes in it. Car battery is used to get the cell going, then it supposedly runs itself once the engine is going. Sounds feasable, but i wouldnt know as i know jack about electronics and stuff. Like FS said it does corrode ferrous metals, so it would be best to use an aluminium blocked engine, stainless valves, exhaust etc.

I still have the file on it somewhere, if interested pm me.

years back there was a US tv documentary displaying an actual buggy style vehicle running on hydrogen, from memory the greatest hurdle was getting it running, as the amount of compression needed to separate the hydrogen/oxygen molecules in the combustion chamber was emence. though the footage showed a small capacity motor producing huge horsepower.

The same documentary also showed a running "N" machine IE: an alternator powering a generator which once moving provided enough power to keep it self moving indefinately and producing a small excess current that could be used to run another appliance etc.

One could only expect petro chemical companies would do their best to prevent these products becoming available for fear of business and profit losses.

[ 09. July 2005, 10:53: Message edited by: Flash ]

There are a number of near-zero emission buses and taxis operating in Perth. Their power plant is a relatively normal internal combustion engine fueled by a gas delivery system not completely unlike an LPG system. The compression ratios are a little higher, and more H2 than other fuels is delivered into the engine, because liquified hydrogen has a very low specific energy(kW/L) to volume ratio, compared to petrol, and other fuels. The main problem with hydrogen as a fuel, is being able to carry enough of it around with you.

Hydrogen is no more dangerous than any other flammable gas. It won't just explode for no reason, unless it is mixed with oxygen, just as LPG, acetylene, or for that matter, coal dust would.

Producing hydrogen 'on board' by methods described , such as Sodium Borohydride, and electrolysis are not feasible, because of the quantities of hydrogen required to do anything. Electrolysis is in fact one of the worst means of separating the hydrogen and oxygen atoms, because of the vast electrical energy needed to produce anything worthwhile, due mainly to the fact that water doesn't ionise extensively, therefore its level of conductivity of electricity is very low indeed.

when the oil runs out im gonna buy myself a Donkey and cart

transport, haulage and primo shroom habitat

eeeaw