The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

Kylie Minogue Diagnosed With Breast Cancer

Australian pop star Kylie Minogue has been diagnosed with breast cancer and will undergo immediate treatment, her management team said.

Her tour of Australia was postponed following the announcement.

A statement from Minogue's management said the 36-year-old's diagnosis was confirmed this week during a visit to the southern Australian city of Melbourne.

"Whilst at home in Melbourne with her family this week prior to her Australian Showgirl Tour, Kylie was diagnosed with early breast cancer," the statement said.

In the statement, Minogue said: "I was so looking forward to bringing the Showgirl tour to Australian audiences, and am sorry to have to disappoint my fans. Nevertheless, hopefully all will work out fine and I'll be back with you all again soon."

The Showgirl Tour was to have included performances in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth over the next month.

Sad to hear , as Molly said on the radio this morning " First Olivia , then Delta , now Kylie " breast cancer is a huge issue.

You know you've made it BIG as a sex symbol

when something like this gets our huge international attention.

Millions of men are going to be hurt if she has to let go of one of those...

It annoys me that all this worry is given over Kylie (a Homo sapien) when this sort of thing happens all over the world to millions of women (homo sapiens).

I suppose its good awareness advertising...

I initially thought the same and was going to make a joke about how at least she's not losing her main ass-ets but I won't since it would be in bad taste.

But as 2b said, breast cancer is a huge issue. I didn't realize until looking up some stats that 1/3 of Australian women diagosed still end up dying from it .

The more publicity the better.

[ 20. May 2005, 08:57: Message edited by: strangebrew ]

Prostate cancer is just as bad for men.

We really need to have more awareness of that issue as well.

quote:

Prostate cancer is the most common form of cancer, other than skin cancer, among men in the United States, and it is second only to lung cancer as a cause of cancer-related death among men. The American Cancer Society estimates that in 2003, about 220,900 new cases of prostate cancer will be diagnosed and 28,900 men will die of the disease.

LINK

More men would come out about it

but it's treatment can result in the inability to have a erection.

(if they survive) and who wants to admit that?

[ 20. May 2005, 20:23: Message edited by: Flip ]

prostate cancer gets men mostly in their old age 9 i know there are excpetion but really its guys in their 60's and up mostly)

and anything that kills the old gets less publicity

its the stuff that kills people in their 'prime' or youth that causes sensation.

and the whole bloody gland is faulty anyway

its the achilles heal thatll get u in the end no matter waht cos it just keeps growing throughout life (benign hyperplasia)

re breats cancer

there was studies showing a vast decrease in occurence the younger you get pregnant - the hormone switch turns dormant mammaries to active mammaries. the younger this happes the lower tha chances of later cancer

makes sense - u cant have something sitting in stasis for 20 -30 years and expect it to be all good - just like increases in birth defects in older mothers cos shes using eggs that have been ins stasis for 40+ years since she herself was in the womb

conversely cervical cancer risk is increased in relation to hetero sexual activity.

so it seesm you should get preganat young and not have sex often

hmm cant see that being popular

doesn't the pill actually decreases the risk of cervical cancer (but small increase in breast)?

i don't want to detract from the suffering of kylie, in fact i'm sure we all have a relation whose has had it but prostate cancer kills more than breast cancer, its survival rate is substantially lower than that of breast cancer BUT it gets a fuckload less research funding. seems the only way to make people pay attention is if there's a nipple attached. i mean, i like boobies and all...