The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fyzygy

Smart oceans

wow.  That's quite a URL.  :)  I be too scared to click on it

asdf.thumb.jpeg.b58fa051567ccc618efa51f828747d4a.jpegAn Internet of Underwater Things. The biosphere needs it like a fish needs a bicycle.

asdf.thumb.jpeg.b58fa051567ccc618efa51f828747d4a.jpeg

asdf.thumb.jpeg.b58fa051567ccc618efa51f828747d4a.jpeg

I wouldn't worry too much, I can't see this happening. The costs to install and maintain would be astronomical, and the applications would be so limited as to be useless.

Another red herring. (Pun intended)

1 hour ago, Glaukus said:

I can't see this happening.

... in the name of environmental stewardship, no less!

These technologies are already being marketed commercially and installed in the world’s oceans today. At the 2022 Oceanology International conference, which will be held in London from March 15 to 17, dozens of these companies will be exhibiting their products.

WaterLinked sells underwater sensor technology through distributors around the world for use in aquaculture, and in underwater navigation. “Our Wireless Sense™ technology enables reliable wireless communication and innovative subsea sensor solutions,” says their website.

EvoLogics sells underwater acoustic modems, both mid-range and long-range, that “provide full-duplex digital communication.”

SonarDyne International sells underwater acoustic modems to the oil and gas industry and to governments and navies.

Voyis sells short- and long-range underwater laser scanners.

GeoSpectrum sells “integrated, end-to-end acoustic systems” for oil and gas exploration and for military purposes.

Dynautics sells autonomous underwater vehicles (AUVs).

Seaber sells “off-the-shelf micro-AUVs.”

Hydromea markets “the first ever tether-less underwater drone.”

Mediterraneo Señales Maritimas sells “data buoys that integrate sensors through our datalogger so the data can be transmitted to a remote station and displayed on our software.”

3D at Depth, Inc. “provides advanced subsea LIDAR laser systems.”

Teledyne Marine sells Autonomous Underwater Gliders, Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (“unmanned robot submarines”) and “laser systems for both shallow and deep-sea submerged diving.”

Just because they're being marketed doesn't mean they are commercially viable or attractive. That distinction should be made.

We'll probably never colonise Mars either. Doesn't mean we won't die trying. 

I am all for Elon and Jeff to get in a rocket and go to Mars. Coming back? Not so much!