The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
fyzygy

Sick TBM

A while ago I pounced on an eBay sale, mature TBM plants for around $50 BIN, delivered. The plant arrived, but as soon as I divided and replanted, the segments began to wither and wrinkle, as pictured. After a month or so in fresh pots they showed no signs of recovery. I became concerned that these plants might have been exposed to a poison (prior to being listed on eBay), and so am reluctant to put them to use in my medicine garden. Any thoughts?

DSC07736.jpg

DSC07736.thumb.jpg.beeb1802390556a4dcffdb958d81fd8f.jpg

DSC07736.thumb.jpg.beeb1802390556a4dcffdb958d81fd8f.jpg

thats just root rot. cut off the healthy segments, leave them not planted until they are dry and calloused and put out some new roots, then replant them in a couple months with less water / fert.

Is that a piece of lava rock I spy there? Because of its tendency to retain water, it can cause issues (rot, algae, etc.) with succulents of all types whether it's in the soil as an additive or if used as a top dressing. It's definitely one to watch!

19 hours ago, Xenodimensional said:

Is that a piece of lava rock I spy there? Because of its tendency to retain water, it can cause issues (rot, algae, etc.) with succulents of all types whether it's in the soil as an additive or if used as a top dressing. It's definitely one to watch!

Good to know. I've often used scoria in the bottom of pots for drainage, or as top dressing, never had any issues with it before. But will definitely take that advice on board.

21 hours ago, dionysus said:

thats just root rot. cut off the healthy segments, leave them not planted until they are dry and calloused and put out some new roots, then replant them in a couple months with less water / fert.

Will do, thanks. This is the only cactus I've come across that didn't respond to TLC -- if anything, it showed signs of rapid deterioration from the moment I received it. 

On 22/09/2021 at 10:07 AM, dionysus said:

Agreed.

To speed up the process in situations like this, I like to get a small finger nail sized paint brush and brush on some clonex to the base to promote speedy root formation.

Use to live close to the sea (20 meters) which had a sea mist/haze and got into a habit of not using scoria as a top dressing, because I was worried about the scoria absorbing salt. Have used scoria sparsely in potting mix for the propose of retaining some moisture in very sandy soil, without any problems. Apparently red scoria alters the PH level of the soil, as I do not use it any more, I have not checked this

This seems as good a place as any to tell a bit about myself. My age is probably classed as mature, am physically and mentally challenged and live accordingly,  my main interest in cactus and succulents. Am open to educating myself and others and pleased to be here. Cheers

• Thanks 1