The Corroboree
waterboy 2.0

Reaper type chilli

Hi folks, 

Any chilli heads have a few stray Carolina reaper or reaper type seeds stray? 

Also interested if anyone has is growing some of the japanese snow pea varieties and have a coupla stray seeds. 

Lol... And got an interest in any heirloom pumpkin variety seeds.

Building the veg seedbank up that got seriously neglected and suffered a rat attack i didnt notice before saving the undamaged stock. Been smashing the garden back into shape now im back on track healthwise through drug guinea pigging... Lol:wink:

• Like 1

i've got rats and a dickhead possum at the moment. got any tips to chase them off?

Also I'm happy to send through some chilli seeds that are similar to a reaper.

Sweet as mate..

Honestly with rats just trap and bait mate ..trap and bait. I  just forgot to wage war before they started another wave of movement out of the rural lands running for cover. 

Possum if your looking humane then trap it, unless its permanent relocation :wink: your council might have cat traps available for loan that some fruit falls into...

On 12/08/2021 at 7:36 PM, waterboy 2.0 said:

Sweet as mate..

Honestly with rats just trap and bait mate ..trap and bait. I  just forgot to wage war before they started another wave of movement out of the rural lands running for cover. 

Possum if your looking humane then trap it, unless its permanent relocation :wink: your council might have cat traps available for loan that some fruit falls into...

This.  I have a fair bit of trouble with animals, or at least did.  Rats and mice eat everything, possums like to sample a bit of everything here and there and king parrots love green tomatoes!  I live kinda outer-urban / semi-rural fringe and so was (still am?) pretty conflicted about using baits due the risk of secondary kills of owls, pythons etc, but I just had to.  Always loved the vege garden at the old place but didn't garden here for a while due being despondent about losing the constant battle with wildlife.  I have raised beds, use low secondary kill baits sparingly and tight bird netting sealing to the edges of the garden.  Still had problems with rats and mice though.  Worked out they were tunnelling up through the bed, I assume nesting in the bed as well.  The solution (I hope, been working for a few months now so I think I got it), was to dig out part of my garden bed, lay a physical barrier of overlapping chicken / bird wire and put my soil back on top.  No issues since and not having to use baits at all near / in the garden anymore.  Haven't caught any possums or reptiles in the bird netting either.

• Like 2

Carolina Reaper gets sold at my local Coles. If it's not something readily available to you, I can send you some fresh seeds after I do my next shop.

Every coles I've been to sells them all the time. Not sure if they're the real deal or not though. They're not that hot. I munch them down with a couple of dimsims and yeah, they're OK but it's not like a kick in the balls or anything. Maybe just all the water and ferts they pump into them.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Halcyon Daze said:

Every coles I've been to sells them all the time. Not sure if they're the real deal or not though. They're not that hot. I munch them down with a couple of dimsims and yeah, they're OK but it's not like a kick in the balls or anything. Maybe just all the water and ferts they pump into them.

I think if they knock them out quick in something like a hydroponic arrangement then its likely a lot more water than the original. This would account for loss of heat.

• Like 2

They'd be washing them as well. Last time I grew reapers they would weep oil on hot days.

• Like 1

They are definitely intense, but I'm sure the homegrown ones would pack a lot more punch that the mass produced ones. Nice flavour though, and  I'm sure the seeds would sprout readily.

Is it just me or does anyone else find that the flavour of some of the really hot chilli's have a shittier flavour the hotter they get? I love chilli's and put them in almost everything I cook but the flavour of reapers and those sort of one's seem a bit off. The heat is great though.

I can't really describe it but it's almost like a really unripe or poor quality capsicum taste? Something along those lines?

Maybe I'm just buying shit quality ones from the supermarket, because I've never successfully grown any interesting ones from seed. I've killed a lot though :|

Lol... Kick in the balls is the effect I'm aiming for... 

Will touch base with some of you as life settles, 

Trying to get ahead as much as i can while im on top of my game... Before the shitstorm

Many thnx 

Edited by waterboy 2.0

A bit late to the party but if anyone is after decent quality Reaper seeds feel free to hit me up and I can sprinkle some into an envelope for you. They're from the legitimately ferocious, bubbly, devil-dick looking ones, not the puny supermarket ones.

My partner is one of those rare people who is barely affected by Capsaicin, she put 7 Reapers and a bunch of Habeneros into some tacos one time and I tapped out after a couple of bites (and I'm a bit of a freak with chilli btw) while she causally chowed down three or four without breaking a sweat. It's a great party trick!

On 28/08/2021 at 8:30 PM, Cubism said:

Is it just me or does anyone else find that the flavour of some of the really hot chilli's have a shittier flavour the hotter they get?

I live for the flavour of Reapers and Habaneros. Good quality Habaneros are the most delicious fruit to my taste. Not as big on the Jolokia/Scorpion variants. I think they have Capsaicin analogues that mess me up and sting my lips plus not much flavour by comparison.