The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Boof

Bummer

So the NL khat I up-potted about 8 weeks ago and have been daily placing on the deck railing in the sun and putting under cover at night, got chewed off at the base, every sucker and shoot, by a cockatoo this morning.  Was looking fantastic too, had put on some size, new suckers, beautiful tips.  Really annoyed.  I made cuttings within 10 minutes or so of it occurring, but I dunno how good I am with that.   First time for everything I guess

Bummer dude. If I get onto some more seed I'll hook U up with a bunch.

• Like 1

On 11/07/2021 at 10:50 AM, Boof said:

So the NL khat I up-potted about 8 weeks ago and have been daily placing on the deck railing in the sun and putting under cover at night, got chewed off at the base, every sucker and shoot, by a cockatoo this morning.  Was looking fantastic too, had put on some size, new suckers, beautiful tips.  Really annoyed.  I made cuttings within 10 minutes or so of it occurring, but I dunno how good I am with that.   First time for everything I guess

great to hear the cocka2 had a great time, with the nl.

not far away, from my place i got a very big white cockadudel colony, hosting in a giant ficus benjamina, but they never bother my plants.

i guess the cockatoo, saw you, working with your plant, and as such "had a go".

in short you inspired this bird, to take notice,

of the nl, but that bird is smart enough, to let  the nl, go as well, over time.

boof, i hope you feel. privileged, by this bird taking notice of your, "gardening actions"!:wub:

Yeah, no doubt WC.  Two of them have been frequent visitors for years and bring their young too.  They didn't breed last year, or the young didn't survive or something.  So I got complacent because they've never done anything like it before, and I got it interested by moving the plant in and out.  They are very intelligent birds, and curious.  I've never kept a cockatoo, but had a rainbow lorikeet for 20 odd years and parrots are amazing companions.

She lives!  And maybe, just maybe, a couple of the cuts I made might night be too.