The Corroboree
Cimi

Tryna germinate kangaroo grass seeds

I think I need to make a capillary bed with like sand and shit. Any tips?

Fussy fuckers :angry:

Edited by Cimi

Few questions- how old is your seed and where are you?

Is it too late in the season to be germinating this?

Have you tried a small batch in smoke water?

image.thumb.png.58925fa711bff8694d343def9c6cab7e.png

• Like 1

They will usually be no trouble to germinate assuming they were fully ripe when harvested.

Occasionally you have better results after around 9mth post harvest ripening.

Should continue to be viable stored dry for around 5 years.

Have found stands that are occasionally mown or lightly grazed to give better germination.

Best is a year after fire or so.

• Like 3

Are they a type that 'drills' themselves into the ground. Some grass seeds have a coiled tail that spirals around when they get wet, which physically drills them downwards. Anyway it might help to pop a few upright and see if that helps them do what they need to do. My CSIRO book on butterflies lists T. triandra as a food source for a whole heap of different butterfly species. Very good for biodiversity :)

• Like 2

On 01/05/2021 at 1:33 AM, Cimi said:

I think I need to make a capillary bed with like sand and shit. Any tips?

Fussy fuckers :angry:

moderate your lingo topic starter, hehehe, no all is well...

you blame the seeds!

and used "name calling".

but it's you who is the fussy fucker,

because you are, expressing a strong opinon.

without having,educated, youreselfe first!!

further you gave hardly any info, regarding what you have tried, in the past to make them germinate.

you got two options now, get shirty with me or to heed!

cimi, i think i remeber you now, i think you are allright

Edited by withdrawl clinic
to soften my stance
  • Like 1

On 03/06/2021 at 11:10 AM, Halcyon Daze said:

Are they a type that 'drills' themselves into the ground. Some grass seeds have a coiled tail that spirals around when they get wet, which physically drills them downwards. Anyway it might help to pop a few upright and see if that helps them do what they need to do. My CSIRO book on butterflies lists T. triandra as a food source for a whole heap of different butterfly species. Very good for biodiversity :)

They are a type that drills, they will however germinate just as well with the awn removed.

You can occasionally have the problem of them drilling out the bottom of the tray you have them in!

• Like 1

Well a Wicking bed would do what you are asking would it not? 

On 06/06/2021 at 8:53 PM, Rev said:

Well a Wicking bed would do what you are asking would it not? 

i've got no idea what you are saying,

but, sure it's great to hear of you, brother!B)

Thanks for all your replies. Sorry for the delay in my response and sparse information in the initial post. Yes, it is now too cold to germinate them, I think.

The seed should be fairly new - I ordered it early this year. Maybe the post-harvest ripening thing could be it, because this link says there's a 'dormancy period' after the seeds are harvested? https://www.anbg.gov.au/gnp/interns-2004/themeda-triandra.html "Seed may be sown straight away with some success in mid summer to autumn but generally the seed has a dormancy period of up to 12 months depending on the area where it was collected."

I had read a journal article which said it's better to cover them with soil than just place them on top, even though they are a type that drills into the soil when moisture is present. I also didn't want them blowing away or being eaten by birds. The mob I bought them from recommended using a capillary / wicking bed where you get a large tub, put sand and water in the bottom and then sow individual seeds in forestry tubes poked into the wet sand. I didn't have the necessary materials at the time so I just tried sowing them in various spots around the garden and kept the soil moist. I also tried covering some of the seeds with coco coir instead of garden soil, which held moisture better. None of them germinated which was disappointing as I know they don't like being transplanted. Yes I'm trying to foster biodiversity in my garden and plant native and indigenous species.

When it warms up I'll try the capillary bed. This link talks about smoke water but that could be tricky to make http://anpsa.org.au/seed.html

I became frustrated because I really want this species in my garden and initially I read that they were easy to germinate. And I have now wasted about half of the seeds I bought and feeling guilty because I keep reading how the seed supplies are limited. Maybe more time is what's needed for it to work.

Edited by Cimi

I've seen tubes sold for cheap at small native plant stands at the local markets etc. And I think Bunnings sells them too. Hell, you could prolly just go out and divide a clump you find growing on the wayside somewhere. Pretty easy to ID, I've seen them used in landscaping. I also have plenty on my bush block so I'll have a look next time I go there. 

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 1

A wicking bed is easy to make. Just a bucket with scrap bits of pipe and some media

Smoke water.. fancy name for Bong water isn’t it ;) can you find a way to make a Bong

i wonder if a cheap vaccuum from vinnies can be repurposed as a suction for a Bong burning leaves 

• Haha 1

Bucket

put in washed blue metal aggregate to fill reservoir

with an l shaped pipe to refill it

above tyatvan overflow pipe with airgap is important for oxygenation

Then shade cloth and media. Its better if you use washed nylon rope wicks as well to draw up water 

4289093A-657A-47A2-A65A-8C16ECDC55A7.jpeg

• Like 2

Update omg you guys I have just noticed they've started popping up almost everywhere I sowed them!

Seems the 1-year dormancy period thing was on the money. It feels great knowing they're now up and spreading their seed around here.

There seem to be quite a few 'missing' / dropped seeds. I wonder if the birds are eating them.

Edited by Cimi
  • Like 1

Wicked, that's good to know. I hope to regenerate a lot more of this species in areas where it has been displaced by non-native species.

By the way, if you check out the thread on 'The Coke Bottle Tek' this method has been working wonders for absolutely everything I put into it, including random grass seeds that find they way in by mistake. It's essentially a fast easy way to do a whole box full of wicking tubes at a time. I'm also just placing forrestry tubes into PET bottle bottoms (for wicking), which also has some pros and cons like faster turnaround and entirely re-usable materials, but no dome unless you use small tubes.

Probably had my best success with natives so far, -and cacti. Basically you put in a little bit of extra time up front and enjoy all the benefits from then on. If you're a propagator then try it bro.http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?/topic/47590-coke-bottle-tek-a-terrarium-technique/

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 1