The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
fyzygy

Spontaneous variegation?

One small T. peruvianus pup I have has turned quite yellow, not sure why. The mother is not variegated. Is spontaneous variegation a possibility, or is it a genetic trait? It's yellow more on one side than the other, so I suspect some environmental influence? The plant was stressed, for sure, where I found it in a neglected corner of my garden. 

Untitled 2.png

383195700_Untitled2.thumb.png.0ddb2cd3d68604799a82162052c75aa8.png

383195700_Untitled2.thumb.png.0ddb2cd3d68604799a82162052c75aa8.png

Hi mate, this is almost certainly nutrient related or sun-related. Imo it's because the plant was cut and doesn't have roots yet. The alternative is that it was kept in a too dark place for a while. Sudden onset of variegation is definitely possible, but this is probably not one. Bye Patrick 

OK, thanks. The plant from which this pup was cut (just this morning) has roots but was, I think, in a light-deprived situation. But only the pup (and not the mother) has this discolouration. The pup is long and skinny, so probably starved for sunlight. 

to answer your question, yes its possible for variegation to express itself spontaneously 

variScopxScopDSC_0593.jpg

variScopxScopDSC_0593.thumb.jpg.96a956446d0b923c7dc5ddedd9919e2e.jpg

variScopxScopDSC_0593.thumb.jpg.96a956446d0b923c7dc5ddedd9919e2e.jpg

• Like 1

Variegation and monstrose growth spontaneously show up in large collections that include other variegated and monstrose plants. This is what underlies the suggestion some sort of minor pathogen is responsible for both phenomenon. I'm not aware of anyone ever identifying an actual culprit though so I still keep that proposal in the "interesting if true" category..