The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Humboldt

Multi Loph graft

Hi was after some sage advice.  Whilst being impatient and removing parafilm from the scion i accidentally knicked the loph with my fingernail.  The result was this multi headed wonder.

Q. When the times right can i graft up the whole lot onto a Trichoceres?  Or should i slice and divide it into individual bits.

Cheers

20210225_162654.jpg

20210225_162654.thumb.jpg.8674d387137532c403b299f3c44159f2.jpg

20210225_162654.thumb.jpg.8674d387137532c403b299f3c44159f2.jpg

• Like 1

Hey mate, nice graft there. I'd say that you'd have to at least remove the lower buttons in order to get a clean cut above the graft union. The scion tends to engulf the top of the pereskiopsis which would make it hard to graft the complete loph without some dissection. 

Thanks Big Red, what about (if it would be possible) to access the vasculature from the side or top and graft there? Not at the original scion?

Edited by Humboldt

That may well work mate, though I personally have never tried it. I also can't claim to be nearly as knowledgeable as many others on this forum, so hopefully one of the cacti savants will chime in.

That being said, if you can graft the bottom half of a seedling and as long as there is an areole it will pup and grow, I don't see why this wouldn't work. You'd still have to remove the pereskiopsis though, which would leave a deep wound that may well become a very inviting inroad for infection. I'd be interested to see your results though, I know how it feels to have to split up a lovely multi headed loph and I'm not a fan of doing it. Good luck mate.

• Like 1

Your right about the peres BigRed its right up the clacker.  Using a knife would not be good, need something like a apple corer, or a drill bit.  I'll let it grow more i think, but down the track am tempted to graft the whole thing for curiosity's sake.   If it shows infection I could always cut individual lophs i suppose.