The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
migraineur

What are the going rates for various trich cuttings?

Hi

What is the general consensus on price per cm for trich cuttings such as

san pedro 

super pedro 

"standard" T bridgesii

Eileen T bridgesii

Standard T Peruvianus

KK242 T Peruvianus

Any other info that you think would be handy would be much appreciated. I've been out of the scene for a while. 

Also, how much should one pay for lophs and their seeds in the Australian places where they're legal? 

san pedro $1 (PC: $0.50)

super pedro $1

"standard" T bridgesii $1.50

Eileen T bridgesii $2 :wink:

Standard T Peruvianus $1

KK242 T Peruvianus $1.50

• Like 1

If I am cutting to order for someone, I'd usually charge $2-3 per cm for reasonably standard stuff. Anything rare or highly desirable, I let the auction market decide. Sometimes I put what I think is a ridiculous buy it now price on something to test the water and it gets snapped up in a flash. You never know. The appearance of a cut sometimes is far more of a driver than the genetics. An immaculate greenhouse grown cutting with no blemishes or fingerprints will get a better price than a bigger but rougher looking cut of the same plant.

• Like 1

The market is so hard to predict, I think the COVID cash gave some people extra disposable money to play with and this pushed prices higher. There's been a couple of times where it's looked like coming back but the overall trend is upwards. As Glaukus says above, "pretty" showpiece cuts seem to be fetching more at the moment. 

I should add though, if I sell something at a price I think is too much, I feel guilty and usually add a lot of freebies as a softener.

Loph seeds are also unpredictable. I used to pay in the vicinity of $0.20 per seed for locality williamsii. Now, slap a locality name on them and they're going for multiple dollars per seed.

It's a seller's market.

Interesting question. How long is a piece of string?

Price: to buy, or to sell? For personal (medicinal, aesthetic, spiritual) or resale value? Including or excluding eBay/PayPal fees? Irrespective of existing or future eBay listing policies?

For a seedling? For a clone of a seedling? For a clone of an established mother? Blemish? Disease? Postage? Etc.

Provenance? Can you hype up your listing by dropping a few SAB forum names and dates -- with the (all-but-guaranteed) promise of "future interest"? Sheesh! Athletic WTF? 

(For what it's worth, I predict a massive downturn in the price of TBM, according to law of supply and demand. And something I read in Rupert Sheldrake.)

The market is fickle, to be sure. Per column inch, I'd bank on recouping your initial investment, if you tend your plants with the love & respect they deserve. Break even, if you can. Don't do it for the profit (as opposed to money, per se -- all good hobbies pay for themselves. Eventually.)

@Gluakus: It's been a buyer's market, all this summer. I'd be lucky to get $2 per cm for anything, even a live plant that knows how to juggle. 

@migraineur: How much should one pay for lophs and their seeds? Well, obviously, ... nothing at all. Perhaps "should" is not the right question?

Hey, my two cents. 

Edited by fyzygy
improvements