The Corroboree
Wile E. Peyote

The Tania de Jong Unappreciation Thread

11 hours ago, Wile E. Peyote said:

Uh oh spaghettio.

Emyria partners with Mind Medicine Australia to develop national care program and data registry for psychedelic-assisted therapies

https://www.medianet.com.au/releases/194205/

I read that release as "Emyria will be harvesting the data collected during sessions and will use this for unspecified and possibly non-aligned purposes".

• Like 4

This whole thread makes me deeply happy. Also, unhappy. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

International Summit on Psychedelic Therapies for Mental Illness

- Mind Medicine Australia -

BUY TICKETS NOW

First
release
March 31*
Second
release
June 30*
Final
release*
PLATINUM
2 DAY EVENT
(19-20 NOVEMBER 2021)
2 Day Event + Premium seating + Gala Dinner + Meet the Speakers $1,100 $1,320 $1,584
GOLD
2 DAY EVENT
(19-20 NOVEMBER 2021)
2 Day Event + Gala Dinner $725 $870 $1,044
SILVER
2 DAY EVENT
(19-20 NOVEMBER 2021)
2 Day Event $590 $708 $850
INTRODUCTORY WORKSHOP IN PSYCHEDELIC THERAPIES
(17-18 NOVEMBER 2021)
  $680 $816 $980
GALA DINNER
(19 NOVEMBER 2021)
Gala Dinner $175 $210 $250
VIP TABLES

$5000 donation to Mind Medicine Australia. VIP tables will include places for your 10 guests and have an international leader seated at the table. There are limited VIP tables available so get in early!

DISPLAY OPPORTUNITY

Mind Medicine Australia have an exciting opportunity for your business or organisation to host a display at our International Summit on Psychedelic Therapies for Mental Illness taking place 19-20 November 2021 in Melbourne, Australia.

An exclusive display will provide maximum brand exposure/awareness and face to face interaction with conference delegates, speakers and VIPs. Contact us for more details.

READ MORE 

Edited by RonnySimulacrum
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Damn that is way more expensive than Garden States :wink: I'm sure the content won't be anywhere near as good either.

• Like 1

Imagine being seated next to Andrew Robb for dinner. Yikes. 

Last time I checked, mind medicine sprang up freely from the earth. 

• Haha 1

Oh get fucked. 

• Like 1

Dang! MMA bringing in da big bucks! :o

Hard pass on that one for me...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Sadly there is the actual cost to running events and supporting the work of the community, and COVID has only made this harder when it comes to in-person events. I feel that is something that needs to be said. However, it seems clear that access is not a key part of the MMA pricing structure ect :BANGHEAD2: 

Not everyone can afford to go to conferences like EGA. I feel bad that people have to miss out as EGAs, predominantly volunteer team, genuinely try to make the tickets prices value for money and accessible. If SAB members cannot attend in person, I still hope you will consider attending via an online ticket with a copy of the legendry EGA Journal packed into the price. As you all know, EGA also tries to publish most of its content free via Entheo TV. So that, in time, the content should hit the community space for all to view, but that should be more a reason to support the project as your helping others less fortunate to ourselves to access the content. There are also other avenues such as getting involved in running it.

As for the MMA ticket pricing, hell, you can still get some in-person EGA conference tickets for less than it cost to attend just the final release ticket to the MMA Gala Dinner (so not even getting access to the conference). 

Anyway, it would be best to leave further comments to others on the matter as I probably have a firm opinion around all these matters after almost 20 years of, well… enjoyable community service, one might say :wink:

Edited by RonnySimulacrum
  • Like 4

I don't think access is a part of MMA's plan for psychedelic reform either... 

• Like 1

Indeed WileE. You'd assume it's a vehicle to drum up high end investors at those prices.

I'm enjoying watching the whole MMA binfire. Immensely.

It gives my shrivelled heart some faith in human nature. Whoda thunk?

There are so many qualified, experienced people and orgs contributing freely to the scene over decades, SAB, EGA, Mycommunity, PRISM etc who have done some really good science on a shoestring or less- and yet those runs on the board were ignored in favour for MMS setting themselves up as an opposition

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I suspect the binfire (or bonfire) is going to get hotter in the near future @Darklight. There are some pretty heavy hitters who are unhappy with MMA, and at least one of their paid staff has left recently (with more rumours of mismangment and disaffection, including amongst volunteers). 

• Like 3

On 24/07/2021 at 2:03 PM, Yeti101 said:

I suspect the binfire (or bonfire) is going to get hotter in the near future @Darklight. There are some pretty heavy hitters who are unhappy with MMA, and at least one of their paid staff has left recently (with more rumours of mismangment and disaffection, including amongst volunteers). 

I hope so. And look forward to as much information as I can eat popcorn to :D

• Like 1

I have been watching this thread from afar, but now look forward to actively contributing to it (and other SAB discussions). Thanks for accepting my application to join the SAB discussion board Torsten.

As you can see from my handle, I’m more of an ethnopharmacologist than an ethnobotanist, but don’t get me wrong, I love my psychoactive plants too. These days I mainly grow cactus, Ilex paraguariensis, Papaver somniferous and a few other species, though look forward to getting a decent garden growing again once I move into my new place

12 months ago, I was worried MMA was going to be a train crash and have done my best to distance myself as far from them as possible. However, I’m now thinking that their decreasing public profile and the fact most clinicals have peeked beyond the window dressing veil and have “tuned on” to MMA BS means it might just be a fizzle.

But let’s wait and see… There might still be more of a bang than a fizzle ;-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Welcome you :)

I dunno, these days corporates even taking a public break has me suspicious. It's usually so people forget whatever stupid they've been up to and gives 'em time to 'rebrand'.

Rebrand is a weasel word but  for some reason this strategy is almost always successful

Got this juicy one in my inbox:

Dear Mind Medicine advisors, board members, and community leaders,

We are writing as concerned members of the Psychedelic and Psychedelic-assisted Psychotherapy community who have shared experience working for, or with, Mind Medicine Australia (MMA) under the Executive Officer Tania de Jong.

For years now we have witnessed significant emotional and workplace bullying and abuse from Mrs. de Jong towards staff, volunteers, clients with mental health challenges, and members of the wider Australian and International community.

It is a well-established consensus amongst her highly qualified staff, past and present, and amongst the wider community, that Mrs. de Jong has engaged in consistent narcissistic abuse of staff and community members. This should exclude her from a role of leadership and culture forming until she is able to address her own condition. Instead, it manifests in her bullying, abusive control, and cruel treatment of those she is responsible for, is representing, or has power over.

Let us be clear, this toxicity within MMA is not systemic. It is not the workplace culture. MMA has a long list of (mostly resigned) staff and volunteers who are wonderful people. However due to Mrs. de Jong's position, and abuse of that position, the harm is all pervasive and synonymous with the Mind Medicine brand within the community. For a charitable organisation that is placing itself at the forefront of innovation in mental health, this is incongruent and harmful.

No amount of mediation or workshopping has been able to solve this problem, as it is not one of relationships or procedures. It is due to the behaviours of a single individual. Inter-organisational cooperation between MMA and the other leading Australian psychedelic organisations has been harmed potentially beyond repair. MMA as a brand has been black-listed by many leading organisations purely based on their experiences with Mrs. de Jong. In many cases the MMA executive has responded by moving away from a co-operation based model, towards one of zero-sum competition that has tangibly prevented progress. We wish Mrs. de Jong would step down from her position and start taking her own condition seriously, receiving psychiatric help for her own wellbeing and those around her.

Recently, senior leaders in the psychedelic field came together to write an article “Addressing Abuse and Repair: An Open Letter to the Psychedelic Community”. The authors encourage a community held response to abuse that includes creating an independent ethics council, a formalised process for reporting, a process of accountability and a restorative pathway for offenders. Unfortunately, this is not yet established. We support the development of these structures and request the MMA Board and Advisory Panel to engage in a transparent, investigative process. In line with the Open Letter, the authors encourage a restorative healing process between the Australian psychedelic community and Mrs. de Jong, should she take responsibility for her abusive behaviours.

We the authors have remained anonymous due to fear of litigation. Many of us in the community are grass-roots advocates, professionals, practitioners and volunteers, who would not be able to bear the financial brunt of the type of legal action that MMA executives have brought to bear upon those who stood in their way. Some of us remain too traumatised to take open action long after leaving MMA. Make no mistake, there are multiple and severe workplace psychological injuries that MMA as an organisation is accountable for, but Mrs. de Jong is responsible for.

This climate of fear and lack of accountability is not the community we envisioned. But our community is emerging, and it is not too late to correct the course. If you wish to learn more, you only need to speak to any past MMA staff member, or the wider Australia-based community who has dealt with Mrs. de Jong to confirm our concerns.

We seek accountability, we seek an ethical community, and we want you to be aware of the current situation that runs counter to that. We trust that with this information, we can address toxic influences, correct course, and heal from what is an unnecessary obstacle for some, and a nightmare for others.

No progress can be made whilst Mrs. de Jong is in a position of power over others. A new Executive Officer with the skills to heal inter and intra organisational damage is required, to rebuild trust in the community, and to strive towards the Northern Star Pledge (something MMA is very far from genuinely achieving). The Australian community has so much potential.

We ask that you take your connection to Mrs de Jong seriously, for professional reputation and ethical reasons. None of us, nor you, created this horrible situation. However, we are all responsible for the manner in which we do or do not respond, especially as this situation increasingly comes to light in the wider public. We welcome this cathartic process, seeing it as an opportunity to heal and achieve great things together.

Sincerely,

Concerned members of the psychedelic community
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Such a well written letter.  Makes you wonder just how far this has all gone.

As much as i have enjoyed the TDJ phenomenon, its sad.  No winners.... 

Yet, i eagerly await the next installment.

• Haha 1

I’ve seen one interview with her, when she had Hamilton on as well and I engaged in the discussion. That was plenty for me to see why so much vitriol has been aimed toward her. The narcissism may as well have been tattooed on her botoxed forehead (no judgement on botox just the fuckwit it was injected into). What an arrogant piece of work she is. Love him or hate him, Hamilton was disrespected as well. It was the fucking Tania Full Mong show, deadset. 

Resign or die in a fire, TFM.

No love,

me

:bootyshake::wave-finger:

• Haha 2