The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
ZooL

What is the best way to collect and store brugmanisa pollen?

I have 2 brugs that were quite neglected but have both come back to life after cutting them back earlier in the year, they are only a couple meters apart but one is flowering but the other hasn't even started to produce any bud sites(they flowered different times last year also).

Since brugs seem to be self infertile i was planning on collecting pollen from the one in flower and storing it until the other goes into flower and then manually pollinating but not really sure on best way to collect and store the pollen.

Any one have some tips?

I have just cut off some full stamens and collected pollen on some qtips, put each in different baggies with some in fridge and some in freezer. Hopefully one of the methods works.

I uses a glass dish (wine glass) & an old toothbrush to beat the hell out of the stamens & collecting the pollen in the glass dish.......quite often included are some stamen's and or filaments.

Then i grab the q-tips and roll them thru the pollen, swabbing up as much per q-tip as possible....making damn sure not to include any filament or stamen stragglers.

q-tips go into a zip lock baggie thats never quite zipped shut...and date labeled, then stuck in the fridge.  

• Like 3

Seems I somewhat succeeded, 1 of the flowers I hand pollinated has produced a seed pod.

• Like 1

c234.thumb.jpg.97afee37b99254ffa6b6ce93db01ad6d.jpg

sort of just stalled while all the leaves fell off over winter but then developed into this, then just fell off with a touch.

Will let it dry out a bit and then see whats inside

Nice one mate, hope its ripe enough.