The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
BigUps

Any experiences with police and shroom picking?

Really keen to get back out there this season and find some cubes hopefully! I can't but get anxious about police presence though, especially in South-East QLD. Anybody been pulled over on the way back from a harvest? The consequences of possessing shrooms are so absurd :unsure:

I would imagine the cops have much more important things to do mate.

The only scenario that I know of (WA to be fair) is cops getting involved when private landowners have swarms of foragers on their land and give the popo a call.

Don't piss anyone off I guess?

• Like 2

Yes, a friend & I got pulled over by Vic. police on our way back home from foraging. Apparently for a broken tail-light. Those country cops were just as sweet as could be, and helped us on our way. The boot of the car was filled with fungi, not all of which we'd been able to successfully ID ... (our first time!)

• Like 1

Don't wear tie dye, hide your dreads, carry a camera. Shit, if you're really concerned wear a collared shirt. Take a backpack and keep your finds in there, rather than out in the open. 

Pick a variety of mushrooms, or at least learn the names of a few that you can list when you discuss your mycological interest. 

I think the odds of 5-0 being knowing anything detailed about fungus are very low, so if you don't fit their stereotype of a 'druggo' and say a bunch of complex mushroom information I'm sure they'll get bored of you quick...

• Like 4

Wear neutral colours and if someone drives past, don't run, stand (preferably crouch)  perfectly still. Carry a camera. Good luck!

Edited by Pedro99
My England is bad
  • Like 1

Browns and greens are the go :wink:

Really all it comes down to is to not go somewhere and do something that people who live there will take issue with. Then cops get called.

Even if you were foraging all day and brought back a boot load, why would the cops stop you? How significant do you think police resources are? Rest assured that without provocation and reasonable cause the cops couldn't care less. Unless someone makes them act with complaints.

If you keep a low profile and don't frequent the same place for weeks on end, and as long as you aren't near anyone's home, I reckon you'd be very unlucky to even see a cop, let alone have to talk to one.

• Like 1