The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
squidgygoanna

What's wrong with my cactus?

Went to check on my cacti on the weekend and noticed one wasn't doing so well (see photo - not sure why it uploaded sideways)
What am I dealing with here and is it salvageable?

thumbnail_20210110_131542.jpg

thumbnail_20210110_131542.thumb.jpg.534e67a348dcc8eec6963188e1b06fc9.jpg

thumbnail_20210110_131542.thumb.jpg.534e67a348dcc8eec6963188e1b06fc9.jpg

This is a new one on me. But I've seen something like this, also on T. peruvianus (var. "sausage") -- the damage looked much worse than it actually was, and the plant eventually recovered, to my surprise. 
Excess humidity could be the problem -- T. bridgesii develops much smaller black spots, which also resolve over time. 

At this time of year you could remove the tip and generate new ones, sheltering from rain if possible. 

Hmm looks pretty bad to me like it got accidentally cut (the diagonal slash) and then some rot has set in and taken out that entire rib. 

Personally, i'd be cutting off that entire tip (on an angle of course, so rain runs off) before it spreads further.

Yeah I think I'll remove the tip. Is it OK to just cut and leave to heal? or should I sprinkle some sulphur or something on the fresh cut?

Imo this is a fungal infection that has partially healed, but the problem is that you have no idea what's going on below the skin. Cutting is probably best. 

2 hours ago, squidgygoanna said:

Yeah I think I'll remove the tip. Is it OK to just cut and leave to heal? or should I sprinkle some sulphur or something on the fresh cut?

cut cleanly on an angle so the rain doesn't pool on it and it should be fine.  cut just below the black rot - and pray the flesh you find looks clean and uninfected - if not keep cutting until it is.  Ideally, do it on a day when you're unlikely to get rain for a couple of days.  It might get small black, grey (or red) blotches as it heals and callouses but these usually aren't a problem and typically don't require any special treatment.

3 hours ago, squidgygoanna said:

Use sterilised blade, cut at an angle, a good inch or so below the rot. I sprinkle cinnamon on cactus wounds, hasn't failed me yet. I always check the weather forecast too, or take other precautions to protect from moisture. 

Thanks everyone, moved him undercover in preparation for the surgery tomorrow