The Corroboree
ElleEm

Unsure of some of this stash...

Question

Hey hey, 

I have no idea how to post on here (I don’t even use social media) so forgive me in advance! 
I had a beautiful day roaming a paddock here in Bellingen Shire - Mid North Coast NSW. 

I found some gold caps which I’m familiar with but want to check about these lilac tinged but very similar ones I also found...trying to identify. Or are they more mature gold caps?! 
Thanks soooo much

0DFD6D3B-032B-4BB3-84E0-62A2A5535B30.jpeg

0DFD6D3B-032B-4BB3-84E0-62A2A5535B30.thumb.jpeg.1b6b75a9df8fafe264e10f05aacb700b.jpeg

0DFD6D3B-032B-4BB3-84E0-62A2A5535B30.thumb.jpeg.1b6b75a9df8fafe264e10f05aacb700b.jpeg

3 answers to this question

What Glaukus said. You've got 9 or so old ones to be sure there - looks like they have seen some sun and rain for at least 2 days me thinks. More mature as you rightly say. Slice them down the middle to check for maggots in the cap where it meets the stem. :wacko:

The purple spore colour can be found on cubes that are in a clutch with others or straight up on their own as apparently they can somehow generate their own wind believe it or not, cbf finding a link to back that up though. :unsure:

Worth remembering that with cubes one of the most defining features is the veil remnant which is the dark fringe around the stem half to three-quarters of the way up. :wink:

Always best to leave them in the ground if you are taking pics though, because of course no-one around here would actually ingest them :rolleyes:

Edited by -RC-
  • Like 1

They're all cubes. The lilac tinge you see are the spores. Older specimens released their spores and they are purple in colour.

• Like 2

Spores! So cool...that solves that. Thanks for enlightening me! 

• Like 2