The Corroboree
Moogy

San pedro seeds

Hi guys,

Does anyone have knowledge or thoughts about buying seeds from Peru?

Do they get thru?

Is it legal?

Is there a penalty?

Thanks

There's an official list of plant species excluded from entry to Australia (or maybe it's a whitelist, rather than a blacklist, it's been a while since I've bothered to consult it). I dare say that Trichocereus remains a valid import. Customs and quarantine regulations require the name of the species to be included on the external packaging, but I have had Trichocerus seeds (Peruvian landrace genetics) reach me from overseas in a plain envelope. All seed is subject to natural variability, especially if it's the result of open pollination. My experience has taught me to be wary of spurious claims such as "blessed by a Peruvian shaman" etc. 

• Thanks 1

Ive ordered plenty of seeds from Peru and other nearby countries . I’ve never had an issue with quarantine.  As long as they’re not on the banned list . 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, fyzygy said:

There's an official list of plant species excluded from entry to Australia (or maybe it's a whitelist, rather than a blacklist, it's been a while since I've bothered to consult it). I dare say that Trichocereus remains a valid import. Customs and quarantine regulations require the name of the species to be included on the external packaging, but I have had Trichocerus seeds (Peruvian landrace genetics) reach me from overseas in a plain envelope. All seed is subject to natural variability, especially if it's the result of open pollination. My experience has taught me to be wary of spurious claims such as "blessed by a Peruvian shaman" etc. 

These have been blessed, but the guy has a good reputation and track record so let's see.

1 hour ago, Moogy said:

These have been blessed, but the guy has a good reputation and track record so let's see.

Good track record...so they're not from Aynor then lol!

• Haha 1

You should familiarise yourself (and if necessary your vendor) with the new labelling requirements for seeds. Especially if you're dropping a wad on a lot of rare seeds. Nothing worse than getting "that" letter from customs advising you that your seeds were destroyed just because the labelling wasn't compliant. This requirement changed last year so caveat emptor.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, mr b.caapi said:

Ive ordered plenty of seeds from Peru and other nearby countries . I’ve never had an issue with quarantine.  As long as they’re not on the banned list . 

San pedro seeds? Or others less frowned on? How long ago?

5 hours ago, Glaukus said:

Good track record...so they're not from Aynor then lol!

Not aynor, but I'll remember the name. Lol

5 hours ago, Moogy said:

San pedro seeds? Or others less frowned on? How long ago?

Aw jeez. Showing my age here but Spread out over the last 20 years . The most recent being last month .  Nothing naughty , Just various cacti and herb seeds. There  was only ever 1 that got destroyed and I think that was cause it had gone mouldy ( fresh cacao seeds) 

• Thanks 1

I sent some from NZ to Aus, clean San Pedro seeds labelled with botanical name.

Aus customs sent them back with a note saying 'do not send prohibited import'.

Really nice of them to return them rather than destroy, I appreciated that :)

Can not remember which state it was sorry.

I assumed they sent them back for being seeds, rather than entheogens, seems it was more a quarantine issue rather than a drug issue as I doubt they would have returned something they considered drugs.

Many plants have alternative botanical names and I often find it helpful to label plants with their less common botanical names.

Same for common names, do some research on google and have your supplier use a less common name for these type of species.