The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
ZooL

KittyLitter mulch

I have been using the compressed paper type of kittylitter as mulch in my veggie garden once my cats are done with it, I scoop out the poop, prep the bed then spread it on top and wait for the ammonia smell to go before planting anything.  

The whole garden is now popping up with many different mushrooms and other fungi(i also dumped all my mushroom scraps in there so am hoping some more interesting ones find a home somewhere in there) when i look under the top layer of the litter the it is pretty much solid mycelium the whole garden over.

It would prob make for a pretty good substrate if someone was intending to make a deliberate outdoor patch.

I heard there are some potentially nasty diseases (toxoplasmosis?) lurking in feline wastes. Maybe the litter could be sterilised with ultraviolet light, e.g. sunlight? Unused litter might be safe - but even so, I'd want to know the industrial source of the paper, chemicals used in the recycling process, and so on, before consuming anything grown in it. Especially sacred plant medicines. 

Yeah even bokashi composting cat waste takes around 18 months to ensure no toxo or other parasites will be an issue for food products. So I heard anyway.

eh? if cat waste hast potential nasties in it then i'm screwed either way, i got way too many cats(all the defective ones that couldn't get re homed when i was fostering cats) that's favorite pasttime seems to be pissing on all my stuff.

But that all aside i still think this kittylitter(probably best if unused) seems like a really good potential outdoor substrate.

Haha yeah I know the feeling! My cats shit everywhere. I have to fence off vege gardens to stop my familiars from using them. Pretty much every new bed I make for plants, they assume I made just for them to shit in.