The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
nothinghead

Mushroom in my cactus seedlings

A few weeks ago I planted some cactus seeds in a takeaway container with a mix of organic material, coarse sand, scoria etc, with a 1cm layer of sand on the top. The seeds have taken off, but I can see through the wall of the container that there is a fairly sizable mushroom growing up from the organic material through the sand. Soon it will erupt through the soil and I suppose kill a fair few seedlings. Should I sprinkle some bicarbonate soda, or what is a gentle solution to rid the fungus without harming the seedlings? thanks!

Hey mate, I wouldn't worry too much about mushrooms. Just remove the fruiting body aka the actual mushroom and leave it at that. Mushrooms and mycelium are everywhere in nature and they usually dont kill cacti directly unless they produce toxins. 

If you mean something like cobweb then the approach would be to remove the starting point and dry it out. But again, only in case of having a spiderweb like mycelium growing all over the container and the seeds. 

Hi EG thanks for your help!

What I mean is that the actual fruiting body is so big compared to the pinhead-sized seedlings that I'm afraid once it reaches the surface it will uproot lots of little seedlings and they will dehydrate and die.

So I want to try to eradicate the fruiting body before it reaches the surface. It looks as though the mycelium has colonised the whole surface of the organic material. I'm not too worried about that per se, but if there are lots of fruiting bodies I'll lose most of my young plants!