The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Black Rainbow

Reagent Testing Plant Material

Specifically I'm interested in using froehde reagent to estimate mescaline concentration in cactus. I thought it would be interesting to dry material from something like PC and compare a spot test with something like Eileen. I'm hoping there will be some reaction and that an estimate of potency might be made based on the time taken for colour change.

I also wonder if anyone has done something similar with ehrlich reagent and Acacia or another equivalent.

I had to chop some funky bits from a pach clone I'm quite confident has a low mescaline content. I don't have access to froehde reagent but I do have mandelin, mecke, marquis, simon's and robadope, so I put some drops of each directly on the white flesh between the cactus skin and the core. There was no reaction for any reagent besides mecke, which went yellow and turned brown slowly (90 seconds + to turn completely brown).

I would expect mescaline to react with mandelin and marquis, but there was no reaction with these reagents in this test. The mecke test was consistent with what I might expect from mescaline. Perhaps mecke is more sensitive? I will repeat this test with different plants in the near future.

Edited by Wile E. Peyote