The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
withdrawl clinic

hoya australis rediscovered localy

when I moved 15 years ago, to the town where I live, I encountered a massive wax flower plant localy.:P

as well the place I purchased, had a large native wax flower growing, it displayed 50 flowers or more!

but the place wasn't cared for, fore many years, and one time, whilst cutting the very large grasses down, I killed the plant by accident.:slap:

over 10 years or more, I tried to find that plant again, but had no success.:(

all I got was, scratches over my legs, and enormous pain from the spear grass, hehe....

a week ago, guided by the lil voice in my head, I found another specimen!:wub:

further searches in that area, gave no results, just more of the pain, as mentioned above, and I could not score any sock protectors anywhere.

this plant alone will give me plenty of work to do, and I plan to help this, plant...

it's one of australias nicest flowers.

sorry, for the spelling, i'm mildly dyslexic.

Edited by withdrawl clinic
  • Like 1

I've grown them from cuttings a couple times over the years. Awesome species of hoya.  :)   

They are tough plants but don't over water them when young. Their soil needs to be free draining and loamy. I'd say African violet mix could be pretty good for them. Actually start with African violet mix and add a couple hand fulls of regular crusher dust, and a couple handfulls of coconut coir chunks and you'll have a ripper hoya Australis mix.

• Like 1

On 12/06/2020 at 9:22 PM, Halcyon Daze said:

I've grown them from cuttings a couple times over the years. Awesome species of hoya.  :)   

They are tough plants but don't over water them when young. Their soil needs to be free draining and loamy. I'd say African violet mix could be pretty good for them. Actually start with African violet mix and add a couple hand fulls of regular crusher dust, and a couple handfulls of coconut coir chunks and you'll have a ripper hoya Australis mix.

cheers, hd, once they are big enough they will be planted out in the garden and in the wild.

in my pipedreams, I might even collect seeds one time.

the plant mentioned in my garden, definitely was taken from the wild, I guess.

• Like 1