The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Freakosystem

Salvia d. mechanism of infertility

Hi all,

Wondering if anybody knows the reason for SD's low fertility. Is it pre or post zygotic? Does it produce viable pollen? Has it played with itself so much it's gone blind?

It's approaching flowering time so it could be time to rule out some of the options and home in on what might be the driver of it's reluctance to self pollinate/fertilise as well as understand whether there is outcrossing or hybridisation potential.

If anybody is aware of any literature on the driver of infertility in this species, I'd love to know.

Cheers,

Freako

Edited by Freakosystem

I haven't read the link sagi gave sorry, but I say, a plant I cared for ( the most common strain) was moved to an excellent climate (and country), set seed there, and the seeds germinated, without any fancy input!! this location I think closly resembles sallies home turf, hope that helps.

what sieberts claimed is incorrect...

• Like 1

Its self fertile and can also hybridize. I lost my mother plants and single hybrid years ago but it's doable without much hassle. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the native pollinator is the missing link as hand pollination seems to solve the "problem". 

4 hours ago, ace1928 said:

Its self fertile and can also hybridize. I lost my mother plants and single hybrid years ago but it's doable without much hassle. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the native pollinator is the missing link as hand pollination seems to solve the "problem". 

some people at this forum, promoted the idea of hand pollinating, and it's definately the way to go, as it can't harm.

but, i realy think what i say has merit:

you need eternal spring climat for this plant. it's native to highlands in mexico.

the person i mentioned, which got seeds and sprouted them, grew it in the highlands of png.

he deleted all his posts here, after he felt wrongly done by...

sally hates the very hot, but can survive short cold and even frost spells.

problem is australis mountains are not close to the aquator.

even the qld table lands are too hot for sally.

i guess she can't set seeds if further down the tropic of capricorn.

haway's vulcanos made sally set seed as well.

sorry for my spelling, i'm mildly dyslexic.

• Like 2

Caserious? I think his name was .. or something similar .  He was very informative and shared his knowledge on valuable growing techniques for a range of sacred plants . From memory he got absolutely hammered with PM’s asking for seeds and cuttings which in turn became envious abuse . He left , took his information with him and never came back. I miss his input. 

Edited by mr b.caapi

yes, caapi you remeber well.
makes me say, we should try to respect people here, because the wrong doing of one person or a few, can have a negative impact for all of us.

and of course, i'm not without fault either.

• Like 3

We are human mate , we are all guilty of it but it makes us a better human if we acknowledge it .

• Like 2

Well, if there was ever a year for pollination, this would be it. Show me a better display of flowers and I'll concede...

PSX_20220613_175226.thumb.jpg.8cc1637d26ea3ebbc2399dd30557c3cd.jpg

PSX_20220613_175226.thumb.jpg.8cc1637d26ea3ebbc2399dd30557c3cd.jpg

• Like 5

thx, for the excellent link, fyzygy!

this is exciting and opens up, a new door. at my locations, sally can be ok, for years, but if i get, hot (desert) westerly winds they die, of heat stress.

i think this wind and heat wave only comes in el ninjo years, but i'm not sure.

there are tropical locations above 400m around, in oz and they would be ideal...

as well, once sally seeds become available, we could try to induce mutations, but i forgot the name of the chemical.

idealy would be a climat controlled area, where the temps dont go over 30 deg or so...

as well, i want to mention that there are posts around, of growers in mexico, and there sally's are 3m monsters!

On 30/09/2022 at 11:53 AM, withdrawl clinic said:

once sally seeds become available, we could try to induce mutations, but i forgot the name of the chemical.

I think you might be referring to the classic gout medication, Colchicine, which has been used to great effect on cannabis through soaking seeds in a colchicine solution; this results in polyploid instead of diploid chromosomal sets at replication; the argument being it gives rise to much greater THC content. Years ago I had polyploid weed, only once, but I can vouch for its extraordinary potency and hallucinogenic quality. Might possibly work on Sally as well.

Colchicine, yep a while ago a member did send out a few small bottles of that stuff.

i wonder what happens if you try it on loph seeds....

Keep in mind you don't want to conaume any part of the next few generations after treatment. In the case of Cannabis with its visual trichomes, you can select individuals you expect to be potent and cross them with others of similar traits. But if working woth species which require bioassays, consuming mutagens is best avoided.

It's also worth noting that polyploids generally only reproduce successfully with individuals of the same ploidy level as they are, and this may be hard to assess without a flow cytometer. So you've got some work cut of for you if you do success.

By the way, the reason polyploids are useful for breeding is that they have two of more cookies of their genome. I.e. triploids have 3, tetraploids have four, hexaploids have five etc. This is useful because you could have a mutation if an essential gene on one copy but still preserve the essential gene on another. So where as that mutation in a diploid would result in the death of the plant as the essential function isn't filled, the polyploid allows for novel gene expression without sacrificing essential processes which would kill the plant. Very cool stuff!

• Like 1