The Corroboree
Pie'oh'Pah

Posting Khat Suckers and a Potted Button

I wanted to get some insight on some good methods to send some khat suckers out.

Currently thinking of using some water crystals in a mainly closed zip lock and take most of the leaves from the plant.  Any tips or am I just going to end up delivering a bag of goop to someone?

Also I have a button I want to sent to someone and would love to know the best method. i have seen a lot of pictures of bare rooted buttons on the sale thread so I imagine this is due to shipping issues on to mention the fact the soil shouldn't be posted I imagine that it would be hard to ensure it wasn't so shaken the pot causes more damage to the button than the benefit the pot may have given.  I was things of padding down the soil and then glad wrapping the lot leaving a hole of the button to sit out and then use another padding method to stabilize the pot in a box with air holes for it to breath.

Shipped plenty of columns but find they are almost bullet proof.

Sorry if I could have found some of this out with some searching.

For plants with bare roots (not cactus) I wrap the roots in a damp paper towel, then again in a plastic bag. 

Cactus you will want to keep dry, paper scrunched up works well.

• Like 3

Only ever posted seedings such as wollemis ect, get some conduit tube the size below a standard aus post packing tube. Put the roots and surrounding soil into a zip locl sandwich bag.  Gently load the conduit tube from the top roots first so the delicate branches fold upwards. Conduit protects from crushing ect during transportation. In standard cut down postage tube be so if sent express, doesn't attract notice from the sorting centre and arrives quickly. 

Edited by Tassiescott
Can't spell for shit

It's really good that you care about this. I've had stuff arrive smashed, crushed, damaged, broken, fukt, shit on, etc etc etc. it seriously takes the joy right out of the hobby. Remember that feeling you get when you open a parcel to find something you've been waiting on for so long, and you've spent your rent money on it and  it just looks so shiny and beautiful, and gives you Goddamn HOPE in the future! That feeling is what makes this hobby so damn awesome. When people just throw their shit in a box and it arrives all smashed up because they couldn't even use a piece of bubble wrap, well that's just rude and insulting. Seriously people, DON'T EVER DO THAT TO ANYONE. It's a DOG ACT Woof Woof Woof! Yeah, it only takes an extra couple mins to find a bloody piece of newspaper or a cardboard tube etc. I always keep my gladwrap tubes for this purpose and actually, 1.25L and 2L pet bottles can be cut up and sticky-taped back together for this purpose. It's not what you get that makes this hobby so awesome, it's what you GIVE. you gotta learn that! (Rant over   :P)

• Like 2

woof woof! Tote agree with above ranters. Take pride in what you do and treat it with such respect.

fuckya.

so with qat suckers i'd wrap the bottom bit(roots) in hand towel moistened with water.

doesnt have to be mystical rainwater rh ph'd- just some water....ok, maybe distilled h20 (so you can sleep better). Then put the roots in a plastic lunch bag. Then put the whole lot in another bigger plastic bag. Put that in a square box or plastic bottle cut in half and retaped ...ala HD

buttons shipped dry rooted with no soil is better . put them in another container cardboard - steer away from metallic boxes.

A very cool acacia guy here once said to me"Yeah charge em bro, charge em for your cuttings! It's the only way they will try harder to keep your little, baby seedling alive......it's because it cost em a few bob"

• Like 3

I have found moist sphagnum moss to be perfect for shipping plants, absorbs shocks, keep the roots healthy, it keeps everything aerated, insulated and evenly moist. Put the plant cocooned in moss in a halved plastic bottle, tape. Perfect and very light.

• Like 1

nice thread which should be relevant for every not cactus plant. thanks for all advise. 

Thanks all I appreciate the feedback I love taking the time to get my parcels together.

To be honest this is my first unintended give away to the forum and I want to do it right.

I'll post a couple of pictures once they are ready to send.

Would love some tip on the potted button I guess bare rooted is the answer.

Edited by Pie'oh'Pah

On 24/04/2020 at 6:10 AM, mauve said:

I have found moist sphagnum moss to be perfect for shipping plants, absorbs shocks, keep the roots healthy, it keeps everything aerated, insulated and evenly moist. Put the plant cocooned in moss in a halved plastic bottle, tape. Perfect and very light.

Awesome post my chosen method

Edited by Pie'oh'Pah