The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Black Rainbow

Trip sitting search terms

Some colleagues and I are investigating how trip sitting is represented on psychedelic forums. I thought you guys might have some suggestions for search terms we haven't considered. At the moment our list is - 

List of search terms: Trip sit, sitter, care, monitor, guide, therap, hold space, holding space, presen, shaman

Note search terms only need to include the root term (i.e. the root search term ‘presen’ will return results including ‘presence’, ‘therapeutic presence’, and ‘being present' etc.).

Yummy terscheckii for attention. 

IMG_8516_-_Copy.JPG

IMG_8516_-_Copy.thumb.JPG.308ce1fc64947d382e702a72b876f956.JPG

IMG_8516_-_Copy.thumb.JPG.308ce1fc64947d382e702a72b876f956.JPG

Edited by Wile E. Peyote
  • Like 2

I realise I'm pointing out the problem and not contributing a useful reply but it seems people say things with terms that aren't unique to trip sitting such as "make sure you have somebody there with you". There's no specific word to search in that string. Can you search for a string of words?

Hey Freakosystem, thanks for sharing your thoughts. You can definitely search for a number of words combined, but without manually reading lots of material it would be difficult to locate the example you have given in search results. Definitely a limitation of this methodology - we will always miss something unless we read all the content manually, which would be a monolithic undertaking :(

We will be applying this search terms to posts on Shroomery and Nexus where we will also seek participant reflections on the project. Hopefully if we do miss something that could have been valuable another participant will point it out to us. 

Hey wile,

cool research topic! Not sure if you combine your terms with the term “set and setting” maybe? Most conversations on set and setting will involve mention of a sitter. Not that I know what I’m talking about just trying to be helpful. Keep us up to date with what you learn :scratchhead:

• Like 1

yep, I too was going to add "set + setting", as maybe the most essential term, as the sitter is part of it. Also maybe "fruit" (to eat, also tomato and peppers)  and "level"  , "baseline" , "breakthrough", "threshold", and of course "afterglow" 

Edited by sagiXsagi
  • Like 1

also don't forget the reincarnation sagiXsagi, this term could make most peeps barf at a "OOOh, relax, here comes sagiXsagi comn to lay down some Greek law...and shit"

ooh i call th e term "sagiXn"

• Haha 1

I admit I didnt get it :P  (laughing only because I assume its a friendly tease)  -  but, really, tomato is the shit! 

6 minutes ago, sagiXsagi said:

I admit I didnt get it :P  (laughing only because I assume its a friendly tease)  -  but, really, tomato is the shit! 

thats ok bro, it was from the deepest dearest endearment for you

• Thanks 1

I wonder if after doing your first pull of data you could sort words by frequency and read down the list until you find a word you feel is often associated with this context and add that to your future searches.

• Like 1

You're right Freakosystem, that's a good strategy for finding new terms and we will definitely consider additions to our list as we revise the data set. 

curious: are you attempting to make a search engine - bot (of some sort) for the topic ?? and if yeah where would you search? 

Hey sagi, no, we are just manually scraping the data for now. We are using Google as a search engine, with search terms like 'site:https://www.shroomery.org/forums/ "trip sit"'. 

• Like 1

Does anyone have contact details of any admin/mod team members over at DMT Nexus? I've lurked there for years but never had an account and there is no pathway to make contact outside of the forum. We would really like to use some of their forum content in our analysis.

good suggestions above. variations on "facilitate" are pretty popular. statements with the word "journey".

sounds interesting. what type of organisation is the study connected with?

Cheers Micromegas!

Dr. Bright and myself are affiliated Edith Cowan University's School of Medical and Health Sciences, and we will be using their ethics committee for this project :)

Looks good Wile E, i'm over at ANU myself.

I'm interested to see what you come up with here, and what sort of theoretical grounding you are using. I assume some sort of paper will result?

Mostly I'm curious how "trip sitting" as represented on forums, which are largely individualistic and ad hoc, are defined and understood in comparison to closely sanctioned cultural techniques for mediating altered states that may have developed over centuries or much longer - there is a decidedly blurry line between them. Psychologically, this is a perplexing problem and the differential outcomes of participants, of interest, particularly when we start talking about intentional initiation of a "spiritual" states or use to resolve psychological issues.

Good luck. Also, those tersheckiis are sweet!

• Like 2

good luck! I like micromegas line of thinking which would lead me onto maybe removing shaman from the terms because a trip sitter is miles away from a shaman in modern scenario's, Any spiritual experience or line of thinking thats stems from an experience of that nature is gunna get beatin down by AI into nothing....

edit - typo

Edited by DJ-MC

We're hoping to pull a few papers out of the study, in the first one we will deal with a question along the lines of  'how do psychedelic consumers feel about the presence of others while under the influence of psychedelics?". We're planning to frame this with the clinical literature on psychedelic therapy, and other material about online drug communities and harm reduction.

I think there will be a number of other papers that come out of it, too. I'll keep this thread updated :)

• Like 1

Lol spot on DJ-MC, we already figured out that there are more references to 'shaman' than just about any other search term being considered. I'm still interested in doing some analysis on this (I think shamanism has particular appeal because it is a cultural justification of psychedelic use which are few and far between) but yeah, most of this material isn't so relevant to our interest.

• Like 1