The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
freespirit420

micro habitat creation

Has anyone experimented with creating micro habitats to attract beneficial species for pest control ? I am trying to improve my biodiversity and was wondering if anyone has knowledge to share on how I can do this? I am creating a little spider hideout using old palm sheathes & leaves, rocks, yakka leafs etc and letting the grass grow long around it, not really tidying up anything so the biomass will just naturally fall to the ground and create a bit of shelter. I know we have a healthy skink population which is good, I always see them running around. While we are in the corona lockdown i'm going to spend a lot of time studying how I can improve my little micro habitat as I haven't really put any thought into it so far i've just been adding to it whatever I could find that I think would be good. I'm wanting to create an environment with lots of praying mantises spiders skinks ladybirds and of course butterflys!!! I've already got a few swan plants which will be good to get the monarchs going. Need to dig some more up from home after the lockdown and plant them everywhere haha they self sow in the right environment which is wicked. If anyone has any photos of their micro habitats post them!! I will put one up of mine soon. Just going to go add some more to it now, it seems to be coming together nicely. Peace!