The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Zonad

New to cactus

Hi everyone, I have been relatively active (no pun intended) in the fungi forums for a little while and after seeing all your wonderful pictures and posts,  want to extend my knowledge on cactus beyond the fact they are spikey! Anyone who would like to make some suggestions on how/where a newbie could get started would be greatly appreciated! I am in Brisbane area and happy to part with some of my hard earned dollars to get started. Thanks! Hopefully other newbies will also benefit from this. It’s a little intimidating because you all seem so well educated on the subject.

Edited by Zonad
  • Like 2

Oh boy, welcome to the cactus mental illness recovery group! Well, actually, there is no recovery, it's a terminal affliction.

I reckon if you go along to one of the Brisbane meetups you'll come home with some nice cactus. Otherwise, not sure if you're on FB, but there's an Aussie tricho auction group run by Torsten and some of the gang where you can indulge your new addiction. If you have anything specific you're after, post up a wanted in the plant sales area forum here and I'm sure you'll get what you're after. Some of them ain't cheap though!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Glaukus said:

Oh boy, welcome to the cactus mental illness recovery group! Well, actually, there is no recovery, it's a terminal affliction.

I reckon if you go along to one of the Brisbane meetups you'll come home with some nice cactus. Otherwise, not sure if you're on FB, but there's an Aussie tricho auction group run by Torsten and some of the gang where you can indulge your new addiction. If you have anything specific you're after, post up a wanted in the plant sales area forum here and I'm sure you'll get what you're after. Some of them ain't cheap though!

Thanks @Glaukus! Sounds like I’ll be right at home. I’m heading to a meet up in a couple of weeks and will definitely check the fb group. Another addiction to add to indoor rock climbing and Mycology for dummies to eat away the dollars. Who says money can’t buy happiness! Today I learnt what a opuntia is and the history of the taxonomy. :innocent_n:

• Like 1

Hi Zonad,  im not long at it myself but Id be right in saying the best way to learn is get growing. Heres a few things ive gleened:

Pick yourself up some seeds while at it.  They're cheap as chips.  Maybe check out the SAB store or I recommend  https://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?/topic/46520-2019-trichocereus-australia-seed-list/

Then grab some new take away plastic containers, wipe them out with isopropyl and do this:

https://herbalistics.com.au/takeaway-tek-how-to-germinate-cacti-seeds/

(I wouldnt microwave, iso is good)

Once you've got your head into that have a read of teos excellent grafting book pinned above in this topic

https://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?/topic/15495-grafting-book/

I also found @Inyan's parafilm vids very helpful too.

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?/topic/45521-grafting-trichocereus-pallarensis-seedlings-using-parafilm-another-instructional-video/

If you like PM me an address for some seedlings and a little periskiopsis to get you going.

Peace

Edited by Humboldt
  • Like 4

@Humboldtwow! Thanks so much. Don’t think I’ll be sleeping much tonight. Lots to learn but steps 1 and 2 don’t seem like rocket science. Famous last words...

• Like 2

@Humboldt

There is something so magical about one human offering to share with another human a cactus, that doesn't look like a cactus, cannot be bought, that is fast growing and is only owned by those of us who were also once offered said cactus.

Peresk are such a fantastic symbol of what we do and who we are. 

• Like 1

I’m off and racing now. So excited with my new little collection! Massive thanks to @nothinghead and @Humboldt for giving me e head start both with knowledge and plants! Awesome community you have going here, can’t wait for the collection to grow so I can trade and  help people out. Off to a good start I reckon! I still don’t know much more than they’re spikey but I’m getting there :scratchhead:

F6751923-C498-46E5-8EFB-404FF2726741.jpeg

F6751923-C498-46E5-8EFB-404FF2726741.thumb.jpeg.4c76926f190c29941c0d737c5c787133.jpeg

F6751923-C498-46E5-8EFB-404FF2726741.thumb.jpeg.4c76926f190c29941c0d737c5c787133.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks to Humboldt I have added to my little collection. Potted and ready to meet the family!

289F2915-E8D4-4056-ADC8-3C29CC5BF17B.jpeg

289F2915-E8D4-4056-ADC8-3C29CC5BF17B.thumb.jpeg.851a35502c8a07e47ce95c40cf4c6085.jpeg

289F2915-E8D4-4056-ADC8-3C29CC5BF17B.thumb.jpeg.851a35502c8a07e47ce95c40cf4c6085.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zonad said:

Thanks to Humboldt I have added to my little collection. Potted and ready to meet the family!

save the long tubes for acacias...............they usually have a mean taproot................ the cactus at the start wont worry you fr deep roots matey. square pots (to inhibit root curl) are what you are after. A handspan's worth wide should see them seedlings good for a couple of years of growth

• Like 2

On 15/03/2020 at 10:05 PM, Humboldt said:

Hi Zonad,  im not long at it myself but Id be right in saying the best way to learn is get growing. Heres a few things ive gleened:

Pick yourself up some seeds while at it.  They're cheap as chips.  Maybe check out the SAB store or I recommend  https://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?/topic/46520-2019-trichocereus-australia-seed-list/

Then grab some new take away plastic containers, wipe them out with isopropyl and do this:

https://herbalistics.com.au/takeaway-tek-how-to-germinate-cacti-seeds/

(I wouldnt microwave, iso is good)

Iso is good to clean out the containers (Although so scarce in current times :( 

I've found microwaving is necessary to prevent mold creeping in / particularly in a high humidity environment. 

16 hours ago, Zonad said:

You're already onto pere, graft away!...Beware of the glochids :unsure:

• Thanks 1

https://cactilicious.com.au/ and trichaustralis on FB are also really good aussie source's for tricho seed 

Edited by DJ-MC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have some trimming to do, send me an address and I'll send you some.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

People have looked after me here so now its my turn.

• Like 3