The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
-RC-

Caapi cutback?

Hi all,

Just wondering when most folks consider it to be a good time to cut back their caapi? Mine's getting a bit unruly and I thought the guava beneath its girth might want a bit of a breather as well :wink:

Is it a thickness of stem thing or just a generally size thing, or is it age?

With thanks,

RC

I cut whenever they need a trim, but usually only in growing season between September and May. 

If I was cutting for tea material I'd choose sections around the diameter of my little finger or bigger. Anything smaller is just a hassle to deal with, but the smaller stuff is pretty good for propagation.

• Like 3

I chopped mine back to a trunk (branch (twig lol - it’s about a thumb round)) in October... had zero leaves... it’s now massive again. I think the biggest thing is making sure it doesn’t dry out around the base if you cut it back while it re grows.

• Like 1

Yeah mate, chop when ever it gets out of hand. Dosen't matter time of year in the tropics. Be as aggresive as you want, it'll come back in no time. 

• Like 1

Yeah she's getting a bit out of control. Thanks for the advice everyone :)

Bro, you would be shocked at how much I pruned this summer, it was struggling with hot dry winds.

Shooting back like crazy. Always give a good feed, worm wee.

On the otherhand, if yours is thriving....there is no such thing as too much vine.

• Like 1