The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Thecactuslife

Thick trichocereus recommendations

Looking at sowing some big trich seeds and want to know your expiriences what are some of the fastest growing hybrids from the big guys like pascana, taquimbalensis, validus, terscheckii etc.

Also any favourite hybrids that are to beautiful not to grow. Tia

There have been a few getting around. Especially in recent years.

Quite a few people trying to breed some colour into the big girls. Mostly Validus and Terscheckii are bred for their spiritual energy, but if it's just for aesthetics alone, then it's trial and error. Each to their own so sprout a heap and pick out your faves, and one day cross those together and send me some seeds :)

a good one to look out for is Psycho0 x Terscheckii (or was it Terscheckii x Psycho0) -good size and fast growing. Actually ones already in circulation are actually a validus cross (from Cactus Country) but were distributed under the name terscheckii. Not that it really matters that much.

They also love being planted in the ground. They'll never reach their full size or girth in a pot. Gotta let these ones loose! 

• Like 1

If you want to get them big fast, graft the seedlings onto Peres for a year or so, you'll get a few years headstart on the game.

Thanks guys the terscheckii x psycho sounds good. I'll get a few others. Yeah these ones are aesthetics only so something nice and uniform but would want something hardy fast growing if possible. 

I have seeds sown for others and was wondering when you sow say 50 seeds are some going to grow like the mother, some like father and some with crosses in between or will most share same traits?

34 minutes ago, Thecactuslife said:

Thanks guys the terscheckii x psycho sounds good. I'll get a few others. Yeah these ones are aesthetics only so something nice and uniform but would want something hardy fast growing if possible. 

I have seeds sown for others and was wondering when you sow say 50 seeds are some going to grow like the mother, some like father and some with crosses in between or will most share same traits?

It really depends on the cross. Anything with scop as either father or mother will look like a scop in my experience. Other crosses will vary, some might lean more towards one or the other parent. Some will be intermediate. Some will be very consistent, some will vary wildly. 

Shed Validus x roseii 2 for example looks almost nothing like roseii 2.

IMG_20200123_172849.thumb.jpg.7c10712ba8ff1a3912d9b499a2b6a35c.jpg 

(showing a grafted seedling vs 9 months later)

I'm sure others can add their $0.02

• Like 3

On 04/03/2020 at 1:13 PM, Thecactuslife said:

something hardy fast growing if possible. 

when you sow say 50 seeds are some going to grow like the mother, some like father and some with crosses in between or will most share same traits?

Generally yes. Most would look intermediate, while fewer would more closely resemble either parent. But anything can happen really.

And they still grow fast :)

• Like 1

taquimbalensis is still the most beautifull tricho IMO. and its quite fast, especially compared to pasacana and terscheckii, but not as fat as those two. And also, should we add that validus is generally considered to be a form of terscheckii??