The Corroboree
SayN

Cacti issues (heat?)

I've noticed some issues with a few of my cacti.  Could this be heat stress? 

They were all in full sun and seemed fine last week, but noticed this variegation on a few - which i've isolated from the rest as a precaution.

cactibad.thumb.png.1f80b4445256ac10c2effe0f17fff80e.png

Close up:

LMPbad.thumb.png.1f7414165d62d2bbe7dc87953c2aebb5.png

Sunburn.

It's funny how some plants are susceptible to this and other aren't. I generally notice the more glaucous and blue plants fare batter than their greener neighbours.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Could it also be water content?
Have they been well watered during this heat?My bridgesii seem to be more susceptible to sunburn (I rarely water my bridgesii coz they get those gross black spots easy) whereas my pachanoi and perus guzzle water and handle sun like champs. I know if us humans are in the sun and not drinking enough water we wig the fuck out also. Just a thought. 

• Like 1

Well i've been trying to keep everything well watered, but Saturday was stinking and I was away at a party which also means Sunday I was neglectful as well.  In addition, these plants were closest to my tin shed which I imagine got mighty hot too.  Lesson learnt.

• Like 1

Hey mate, this is sunburn. The combo of heat and sun was too much for these. I'd put these a bit in the shade so it can heal adequately. Bye Eg

I had some unrooted Tricho tips standing in a pot. One of them fell over in the middle of this crazy heatwave, and in a matter of hours was completely cooked. It will probably survive, but with significant scarring from sunburn. In the vertical position, this cutting was adapted to full-sun conditions (and all of its peers, remaining vertical, suffered no damage at all). Lesson learned. 

11 hours ago, fyzygy said:

I had some unrooted Tricho tips standing in a pot. One of them fell over in the middle of this crazy heatwave, and in a matter of hours was completely cooked. It will probably survive, but with significant scarring from sunburn. In the vertical position, this cutting was adapted to full-sun conditions (and all of its peers, remaining vertical, suffered no damage at all). Lesson learned. 

They almost always come good. I've cooked loads of em, and they outgrow it pretty quickly, given some TLC.

• Like 1