The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
ZooL

Guinea fowl

Any one here have or breed guinea fowl?

I was recently given 11 of them and may end up incubating eggs and raising chicks in the future but the 11(no idea on male/female count) are all siblings, i also have no idea about their parents but am wondering if inbreeding issues will arise if i just let them do their thing or if i should be making some effort to try and trade either all the males or all females to mix up the gene pool a bit.

I had them briefly and had to get rid of them. They kept on flying onto my neighbour's property, and seeing as I had them to eat ticks I mine I thought "This isn't working.."

Plus they are loud as when they go off.

Edited by Responsible Choice
'

8 hours ago, Responsible Choice said:

I had them briefly and had to get rid of them. They kept on flying onto my neighbour's property, and seeing as I had them to eat ticks I mine I thought "This isn't working.."

You can trim their wing feathers so they can't take off. 

12 hours ago, Responsible Choice said:

I'm hoping they will act as a bit of a snake deterrent, I'm on about 3 acres here and nothing but paddocks on all sides so I'm hoping they spend most of their time here, will prob have to remind the neighbor to not shoot them if they do stray over there though. 

4 hours ago, Glaukus said:

I don;t really wanna do that here, there is a chance the odd fox might turn up and i don;t wanna limit their ability to run and hide if one does.

6 hours ago, Glaukus said:

Yeah we did clip wings, but failing taking a whole wing off it doesn't seem to affect their flight capacity at low altitudes all that much :(

• Like 1

I've found geese bother snakes more than guinea fowl. Like smash em.. Lol

Guineas will let you know if they are about though. Could always tell when they found a Joe Blake. Been a few years since I've had em about now, grew tired of their noise

They pair bond well, rather than a dominant of a harem. So reduced risk of inbreeding depression. 

Only lack of habitat /food deters snakes, and come breeding time they'll travel far and wide if necessary. If you've got paddocks around ya rodent control particularly when they get pushed out would probably help a lot. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, waterboy 2.0 said:

I've found geese bother snakes more than guinea fowl. Like smash em.. Lol

Guineas will let you know if they are about though. Could always tell when they found a Joe Blake. Been a few years since I've had em about now, grew tired of their noise

They pair bond well, rather than a dominant of a harem. So reduced risk of inbreeding depression. 

Only lack of habitat /food deters snakes, and come breeding time they'll travel far and wide if necessary. If you've got paddocks around ya rodent control particularly when they get pushed out would probably help a lot. 

Yea i was thinking about some geese before i got offered these guinea but i don't yet have any water bodies(am gonna put some dam/ponds in eventually) but there are a few dams near by and was pretty certain the geese would just leave here for there once they got bigger.

had heard the would prefer pair bonding but if the ratio was off as in 1 male to 5 females they will just make do and from what i cant tell there is no easy way to sex them when young so not really sure what i'm dealing with in terms of ratio.

Don't they have different calls? Once they are a certain age that is.

I'm new to them but from what i understand..

The female call = damn, that's annoying...

The male call =  screw this, where's my gun...

but as mine are all young it's just a generic annoying squeak for both male and female.

I think once the are full frown you can tell the male and female by their appearance and facial features and sounds but when young it's more complicated(invasive).