The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
DJ-MC

tulsi varieties

just curious on anyones experience with different varieties of tulsi? was gifted a vana tulsi plant while back and have decent success in using it too combat infections, I know euganol is the main component with (antiviral?)/antibacterial properties, but have read krishna tulsi has a slightly different phytochemical profile thanks guys :)

I was growing Krishna Tulsi a few years ago and was drinking a fair bit of tea made from it. Not sure if it's even related but days after I started I had a burst blood vessel in my eye. Looked extremely serious, but probably not. 

I was otherwise healthy,but decided to stop drinking it just in case.

I've generally thought Tulsi Vana was 'clove basil' ie O. gratissimum while the other Tulsi were the O. sanctum/ O. tenuiflorum but could easily be wrong?

From The Medicine of Basil post

O. gratissimum

The plant exhibited various biological activities including antidiabetic, muscle relaxant, anthelmintic, antinociceptive, antihypotensive, antileishmanial, antioxidant activity, anticonvulsant and anxiolytic activity.

O. gratissimum contains a high quantity of essential oil (3.2-4.1%), ocimol, gratissimin, β-sitosterol, flavonoids, linolenic acid and polyphenolic compounds and is a strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory with neuroprotective effects [1]

The chemical analysis of essential oils showed eugenol and 1,8-cineole as principal compounds and trans-caryophyllene as a sesquiterpene in higher proportion [2]. The essential oil anti-convulsant, sedative and anxiolytic properties and leaves of O. gratissimum contain constituents which possess anticonvulsant and anxiolytic-like activities [3]

[1] https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.3109/13880209.2010.506489.
[2] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20559750

[3] http://www.phcogres.com/article.asp?issn=0974-8490;year=2010;volume=2;issue=1;spage=36;epage=40;aulast=Okoli

O. sanctum/ O. tenuiflorum

O. tenuiflorum is used for treatment against a headache, constipation, kidney infections, cough, cold, and diarrhoea. The medicinal properties in Tulsi are mainly due to the presence of a variety of phenolic acids such as caffeic acid, rosmarinic acid, flavonoids, and essential oils. Chavicol methyl ether (estragol), linalool, eugenol, 1, 8-cineole, and methyl cinnamate are the main compounds responsible for the typical aroma in the basil plant.

Leaf extract enhances specific cognitive parameters in healthy adult volunteers [1]

• Like 1

I hadn't heard vana tulsi being called clove basil until recently.. which is why it got me curious I thought they were all different varieties of O. sanctum/ O. tenuiflorum not an entierly different subspecies. will have to get just my hands on some krishna tulsi and get familiar with them me thinks..

• Like 1