The Corroboree
Enjaytee

Nangs: A guilty pleasure

A guilty pleasure?? How about we just call it a pleasure, yes that’s much better. It needn’t be a guilty one. Nor should it be an act shrouded in disdain.

Nang use goes back as far as the 1700’s where Victorian aristocrats would get together for laughing gas partys.
(That’s high society in every sense of the word.) 

The next time you indulge in huffing on a ballon or wrap your lips around a cream charging chalice and someone decides to cast a judgey look in your direction, worry not for they just don’t understand how cultured and sophisticated you truely are. I urge you to keep your head held high, turn your nose slightly upward and crack another coldy. Without even knowing it, you are the epitome of class. 

95553354-399F-48B6-9C47-D5056B4CADBC.thumb.jpeg.80e2b6022b9cb8de67c6ae076fe3feb5.jpeg

95553354-399F-48B6-9C47-D5056B4CADBC.thumb.jpeg.80e2b6022b9cb8de67c6ae076fe3feb5.jpeg

Edited by Enjaytee
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Never enjoyed nangs all that much myself. I reckon one of the hospital tanks would be different...

• Like 1

@Slocombe I’m not a nang veteran by any stretch but when in rome ya know. Only recently have I learnt to appreciated them for what they are. Hense the spiel. I’ve had hospital tank n2o once before. Some next level twangs.
Any stigma around them needs to gtfo I reckon.  

• Like 1

Ok, here's my nang tales...

When I was a teenager back in the late 80s/ early 90s, we started on the bulbs. 

Then in the early 90s at uni, I graduated to the next level. My buddy and I planned our first mission like a military operation. We cut our way into the medical gas bunker and made off with the prize, an 8000 litre blue tank. We struggled to carry it, but we made it back to safe base.

Then the madness began.

We went to a rave up near peats ridge, dropped acid, and found the cops had shut it down as we arrived. Shit. Plan B. We knew we had no chance of making it back to Sydney in one piece by then, so we settled on a waterfront carpark in woy woy.

An entire night of nitrous acid fueled mayhem ensued. At one point I found myself standing waist deep in the water, just came to like that.

Anyway, this pattern continued over many months, we hit the bunker several times until they really beefed up security. So we stepped up to hospitals. Raided a few hospitals of their sweet creamy gas, and partied very very hard.

My buddy was living in a residential college, and one day had a cylinder on his bed, lying flat. He couldn't be bothered with any balloons or such and decided to suck straight from the valve. Bad idea. Basic physics really, the level of gas was high, so the liquid level was above the level of the valve. Liquid straight to gaseous phase equals extreme cold. He froze his mouth to the valve. Had to rip his lips free from the metal. Then, the pain started. He was too scared to leave his room, being lipless and all, and he needed pain relief. So he sucked about 6000 litres of nitrous down over the course of a few days. I shudder to think of his bone density now.

And I continued. I arranged a raid on a veterinary surgery, and made off with the grand prize. A 17500 litre tank.

We had a party the next night, and there was a nitrous room. At first we had a scuba regulator with 4 masks, but after a few hours, we just shut the door, turned on the tank and let the acid and nitrous really take hold.

Needless to say, this is not recommended behaviour.

By the morning, the tank was dry, and there was a mound of snow round the base that had condensed from the heat exchange. 

I think that was probably the last time I really went on a nitrous bender, I knew I had to stop by this stage or I'd end up dead.

There is nothing. And I mean nothing that compares with excellent acid and medical grade nitrous. I used to travel to past lives, future lives, other people's lives...

Ahhh, so many more tales in the vault

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 3

thanks for sharing @Glaukus.

what an epic tale! Ive had a nang cracker frozen to my finger but stuck to the lips sounds soooooo fucked up! Everything in moderation ay. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nitrous does not lend itself to moderation! People will refuse to let go of the mask until they literally become unconscious. And even then I've seen someone wrap themselves around a cylinder and hug it whilst unconscious! 

Seriously though, I do worry about my bone density, there is a medical condition that used to be mostly confined to dentists, where the bones become porous and brittle, turns out too much nitrous turns them into chalky aero bars.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Glaukus said:

turns out too much nitrous turns them into chalky aero bars.

Yeah the airy bones sound troubling for sure. I guess with lighter bones you could move a bit quicker and thus pull off some even more daring nos bottle heists. I dunno, trying to find the positives but scrapping the barrel here. Live n learn

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Lol... Have similar tales to G:wink:

My warning.

Had to break into a mates house and save him after he passed out strapped into the medical mask and tank and "anesthetized" himself for nearly two days....

Read that as near asphyxiation, and incurred a mild brain injury. 

Edit- yet to come across anyone unconscious or injured that Colour since

Edited by waterboy 2.0
  • Sad 2

Sounds horrific @waterboy 2.0

i like the direction this thread is going. A few stories to remind everyone of the danger that can happen when indulging. I don’t want my lil write up to come across as a “hey everybody nangs are safe as, so fkkn cut loose on em” type thing.
Too much of a good thing can be... well, bad. 
34D06458-0BD1-4AFA-B2CB-D951BE53B1A2.thumb.jpeg.e14ec01e8618763ba988bee00a747c59.jpeg

34D06458-0BD1-4AFA-B2CB-D951BE53B1A2.thumb.jpeg.e14ec01e8618763ba988bee00a747c59.jpeg

• Like 1

I'm not into nitrous. Don't "get" it, personally. But I see a lot of people have fun on it.

I used to live in a country where it was legal.

At freetek parties/doofs we would legally obtain tanks and distribute balloons. Usually at the parties I did jobs like cooking food, selling beer, security, or just set up and break down. One night I found myself on nangs duty. At first I had fun learning how to fill the balloons to capacity without popping them. But then I realised that the adults were drinking, or using other substances, and I was selling balloons mostly to teenagers who would buy a handful, walk away, and come back 5 minutes later for more. They were more fucked up than adults on the piss (which, to be fair, is an awful drug too). I couldn't bear facilitating those increasingly pasty faced younguns for more than an hour or so, and handed my duties over to go and do something else.

Nangs. I feel like if other drugs were legal/accessible, they'd be less popular. But what do I know, I don't even like them :lol:

• Like 2

wow some wild stories. I havent tried this. 

• Like 1

Amazing post @Enjaytee! Every now and again I like to re-experience the nang buzz. So short but fun! I always feel a little dirty or guilty though. 

Great stories I can’t compete with! Did see a terrible face plant to table from a poor girl who thought sucking the canister while standing up was a good idea.

• Thanks 1

Only recently discovered the interesting nature of them. And even then the first two nights didn’t overly grab me, but I think it was the 3rd or 4th night on top of either acid, cactus, or TooCeeBee (can’t remember) I finally got what the fuss was about.

Like you hit it, close your eyes, and are teleported into a bright place where everything is endlessly reflected (like when you stand between two mirrors). Thoughts or realisations may come, or they may not. Visions may come, or they may not. One friend has time-warping every single time. I don’t seem to get the big epiphany type stuff… or not yet maybe. 

I should do more… for science…

Hippie crack.

Definitely a difference between your industrial whipped cream canister versions and the medical stuff (the former feels dirty, the latter clean).

Not sure how much value I'd place on it as a spiritual medicine but not gonna say it isn't an awesome trip topper either.

Hard to say no to a second after your first.

OK so it seems combined with acid nothing happens apart from an increasingly high-pitched ringing buzz which gets to the point of almost wincing at it although it’s not necessarily loud. Vision is brighter but for all I seem to remember there is no change in visuals otherwise and no time is lost. I’m able to form coherent thoughts like “I’m in an altered state, how can I use this to my advantage” or “what can I learn from this?.”

I joke that I know everything already so there’s no lesson to be had for me there and that’s why I just get white noise. I’m mostly joking, but an experience I had with nitrous at the dentist seemed an ultimate - or maybe penultimate - lesson in Unity/Duality with words in an otherwise void of space (ego death?) used to convey the idea… reading William James’ essay was like de ja vu! 

What's mistake but a kind of take?
What's nausea but a kind of -ausea?
Sober, drunk, -unk , astonishment. . . .
Agreement--disagreement!! 
Emotion--motion!!! . . . 
Reconciliation of opposites; sober, drunk, all the same! 
Good and evil reconciled in a laugh! 
It escapes, it escapes! 
But--
What escapes, WHAT escapes?

But I am no Great Learned One. So it can’t be THAT. 

Now for the shitty part…

Apparently I look like I blank out in a way that the veteran nang whore observer hasn’t seen before. I’ve had a grand mail seizure once of unknown cause (I think they call it Tonic Clonic(?) now?) 12 years ago. I *might* also have had absent seizures at various times but only when I’m near sleep and overtired. I need to record myself doing it so that I can tie the experience together with what I’m remembering of it. For science… I’ll be trying different brands to see if there’s any difference that way. 

The other weird part is that I seem to get better visual effect when combined with cactus. 

I like to get *something* out of these (psychedelic) experiences, and if I’m not getting anything out of nitrous then I’ll just put it down. I’m not going to risk potentially serious shit for a really crappy experience that is barely amusing most of the time. It’s def annoying I’m not getting the same funs as others, but it’s good there’s not another thing to spend money on. 

Anyone have or know someone with epilepsy or a seizure disorder for whom whipped cream brings all the boys to the yard?

On 03/03/2022 at 3:27 PM, SumPlantz said:

Definitely a difference between your industrial whipped cream canister versions and the medical stuff (the former feels dirty, the latter clean).

Back in my days of fiendish behaviour, I noticed with my dispenser (for whipped cream bulbs) very fine particulate matter, dark greyish in colour. Looks like filth to be putting in one's lungs. I'm not sure if the substance was residue from the cream bulbs or the interior of the aluminium dispenser. I wouldn't recommend imbibing directly from a whipped cream dispenser; use a balloon or similar as an intermediary container. 

I never got to try automotive or hospital grade. N20 rigs in hospitals always include a second canister, containing oxygen, with which it is mixed for safety. 

I had an intense -- ultimately, horrific -- experience combining N20 with something believed (at the time) to be LSD. It was a very potent combination that led me to abandon psychedelics for at least 10 years. The last thing I remember is throwing the dispenser as far as I could throw. 

3 hours ago, fyzygy said:

Back in my days of fiendish behaviour, I noticed with my dispenser (for whipped cream bulbs) very fine particulate matter, dark greyish in colour. Looks like filth to be putting in one's lungs. I'm not sure if the substance was residue from the cream bulbs or the interior of the aluminium dispenser. I wouldn't recommend imbibing directly from a whipped cream dispenser; use a balloon or similar as an intermediary container. 

I never got to try automotive or hospital grade. N20 rigs in hospitals always include a second canister, containing oxygen, with which it is mixed for safety. 

I had an intense -- ultimately, horrific -- experience combining N20 with something believed (at the time) to be LSD. It was a very potent combination that led me to abandon psychedelics for at least 10 years. The last thing I remember is throwing the dispenser as far as I could throw. 

Yeah that fine greasy metallic dust is not good to inhale, always use a nozzle filter.

11 hours ago, FancyPants said:

OK so it seems combined with acid nothing happens apart from an increasingly high-pitched ringing buzz which gets to the point of almost wincing at it although it’s not necessarily loud. Vision is brighter but for all I seem to remember there is no change in visuals otherwise and no time is lost. I’m able to form coherent thoughts like “I’m in an altered state, how can I use this to my advantage” or “what can I learn from this?.”

I joke that I know everything already so there’s no lesson to be had for me there and that’s why I just get white noise. I’m mostly joking, but an experience I had with nitrous at the dentist seemed an ultimate - or maybe penultimate - lesson in Unity/Duality with words in an otherwise void of space (ego death?) used to convey the idea… reading William James’ essay was like de ja vu! 

But I am no Great Learned One. So it can’t be THAT. 

Now for the shitty part…

Apparently I look like I blank out in a way that the veteran nang whore observer hasn’t seen before. I’ve had a grand mail seizure once of unknown cause (I think they call it Tonic Clonic(?) now?) 12 years ago. I *might* also have had absent seizures at various times but only when I’m near sleep and overtired. I need to record myself doing it so that I can tie the experience together with what I’m remembering of it. For science… I’ll be trying different brands to see if there’s any difference that way. 

The other weird part is that I seem to get better visual effect when combined with cactus. 

I like to get *something* out of these (psychedelic) experiences, and if I’m not getting anything out of nitrous then I’ll just put it down. I’m not going to risk potentially serious shit for a really crappy experience that is barely amusing most of the time. It’s def annoying I’m not getting the same funs as others, but it’s good there’s not another thing to spend money on. 

Anyone have or know someone with epilepsy or a seizure disorder for whom whipped cream brings all the boys to the yard?

Interesting you don't get enhanced visuals, that's almost guaranteed for me.

• Like 1

On 17/3/2022 at 11:16 AM, Glaukus said:

Interesting you don't get enhanced visuals, that's almost guaranteed for me.

It seems guaranteed for most people :( so it’s been frustrating wondering why my times were relatively uninspiring of such glee. Even the times with cactus I’m sure were not as intense as others…