The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
ZooL

Kratom for cronic back pain?

I injured my back a few years back and am looking for an alternative to prescription meds, The bad pain isn't constant(usually just an ache) but when it flares up or i aggravate it the only thing i've found to work without taking more than the recommended amounts is Tramadol and the like. I live in a pretty rural area and the major announce is not being able to just zip down to the doc and get a script(is about a 40 min drive and often cant get appointment for days) and was thinking about if there was "hypothetically" something that I could grow myself that i can always have on hand.

I have heard that Kratom can be somewhat effective and wondering if anyone has had any experience in regards to it and back/disk pain? I wouldn't expect it to kill the pain like stronger prescription meds do but just wondering if it has a noticeable or near comparable effect.

Kratom is amazing. I love it, but it is definitely habit forming too. I actually prefer it to opiates. 

Growing it is possible if you have a winter that doesn't get too cold but it takes quite a few years before it produces the goods. And you'd need a fair few trees to amount to anything.

It really sucks it's not legal in Australia.

• Like 1

I have found it fairly indistinguishable from reasonably strong opiates in terms of pain relief, and it has some mood elevating properties too.

• Like 1

But apparently nanny knows best...

Yea have realized after looking into grow time that it would take a while before you can get a sustainable amount to use as needed but i think "again hypothetically" that it would be better to prepare now as it's been long enough that i know this injury and the pain isn't just going to go away on it's own.

I also think with any form of pain relief substance there is also a double whammy potential for habit forming, even if the substance on its own has no addiction properties the sheer fact that it relieves pain can itself cause a habit to form. As in even if fairy floss was to limit or remove a chronic pain you would still have to be careful with a habit forming  around it, so both them factors really need to be recognized especially if you don't have a hard limit of prescriptions given applied.

• Like 1