The Corroboree
TheMooseZeus

Native seeds for education/ youth development.

Hey all!

I've gotten involved with a youth development program in my area.

The program is centred around bring young people outside to collaborate on a community garden.

Its going great and really serving its purpose.

With drought, increasing temperatures and water restrictions (not to mention habitat loss etc) i think its far more beneficial to be planting natives.

If anyone has ANY native seeds lying around i'd love to take them off your hands and could shout a little $$$ your way.

Thanks so much everyone, your efforts would definitely be going to a good cause.

Take it easy :)

• Like 4

Mate great work. Been doing gardening as part of our youth development program for about 5 years. Don't overlook foolproof, drought hardy food plants, native or otherwise. Kids relate to food. Sorry your in the wrong place for my natives to be much good to you. 

• Like 1

Usually, you're better off NOT planting natives, especially Eucalypts, in any urban area, IMO.  They are usually not friendly urban plants, and the botanical nationalism that masquerades as environmentalism is mostly just Monsanto's agenda.  (My father still gets Monsatans little native plant calendar every year)

There are a chunk of exceptions.  Lilypilis, Midyim berries, most of the Mertyls and Southern Beaches (the latter need area), some of the Acacias if you can cope with the leaf litter and the replacement time.

On 22/11/2019 at 8:49 PM, Goldfishbrain said:

Usually, you're better off NOT planting natives, especially Eucalypts, in any urban area, IMO.  They are usually not friendly urban plants, and the botanical nationalism that masquerades as environmentalism is mostly just Monsanto's agenda.  (My father still gets Monsatans little native plant calendar every year)

There are a chunk of exceptions.  Lilypilis, Midyim berries, most of the Mertyls and Southern Beaches (the latter need area), some of the Acacias if you can cope with the leaf litter and the replacement time.

I imagine a lot of these will be kept in large pots for a while if local to the area it wouldn't be a problem getting in touch with the local council and getting them out into the wild. :)

On 23/11/2019 at 10:29 AM, Freakosystem said:

What area are you in? What sort of soils?

I've got quite a few packs to send.

Hey! That would be great thanks so much.

Sydney area and the soil is comparable to local sandy soil. We did an analysis i'll find the results :) 

Perfect! Doesn't matter too much if it's Sydney or Narabeen sandstone. Will send you some local sandstone species sourced ethically from private property. Trees, shrubs and forbs all good?

Send me your address and I'll try and get them sent this week.

• Thanks 1