The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Messiah

Mosiac virus (TMV) Awareness, solutions.

Hi everyone, so one of the main reasons I joined here recently was to gain information and people's experience and remedies with certain viruses and ailments in the garden. 

One of which posing the most threat ive encountered being mosaic virus (TMV). 

Id like some of your opinions on some of what i have read about it.... If anyones found a way to manage it etc id love to hear more. 

Some of the questions i was hoping to gain your opinions on are the following:

- Is there any way to manage it other that seclusion and separation or termination of infected plants? 

- What are the most common methods of spreading the virus? Water carrying, utensils, touch, insects, soil sharing etc.

- Do you think pollen from an infected plant could infect other specimens if pollenated? And some seeds possibly be carrying the virus? 

- Has anyone cured or slowed the infection? 

- And i think this one is most important of all... Should cacti sellers who have the virus present in their garden state so in the sale description so that buyers are aware of the risks of potentially purchasing infected cacti and taking them into their collection? 

I think it should be a concern of the cacti and plant community regarding such viruses as this and people who are selling cacti or seeds that are in close quarters to infected specimens should maybe state so as to give people the dignity of risk to choose whether or not to take the risk of potentially infecting their entire garden and collection. 

I really would love to hear your thoughts and experiences with this deviating virus, for reference and information and awareness sake. 

Thankyou. 

• Like 2

Do you have some pictures of infected plants and maybe a description of what type of damage it causes. I've seen it from time to time on a very small number of plants, but it has always disappeared without causing any damage.

Also I googled mosaic virus to see if I was thinking of the right thing. Of course SAB has one of the first hits with some great info: 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Thanks for the link Micromegas was an interesting and helpful read, those pictures look similar but yet also different from what I have seen, I have seen circular sunken ring like patterns and then also splotchy patterns also, i may have a few specimens that only just showed alarming signs of suspicious activity, I will take some photos and upload tomorrow. 

Was hoping to hear of some first hand experience here if anyone had worked closely with infected plants, if it spread rapidly etc, best methods for control, im assuming the best method of control is to destroy the infected plants, but how have they become infected to begin with, i dont smoke tobacco... I don't handle it.... Im assuming the virus if it is indeed tmv has come from someone I have bought cacti from. Sadly. 

I have secluded the ones i am concerned with on a far corner of the property until i can be more certain. 

Would love to see photos too. Lots of things are misidentified as Tobacco Mosaic Virus and there's lots of panic around it. Malnutrition, Sun burn, nutrient deficiencies, cold damage, insect damage etc can all look like TMV.

On 27/10/2019 at 11:38 PM, Evil Genius said:

Would love to see photos too. Lots of things are misidentified as Tobacco Mosaic Virus and there's lots of panic around it. Malnutrition, Sun burn, nutrient deficiencies, cold damage, insect damage etc can all look like TMV.

I only have a few specimens that are concerning, im morenso interested in just positive identification, and any management approaches, as well as how the virus spreads as i have heard talk of seeds being germinated and having the virus from a very young age... Which suggests perhaps spread through pollenating. Im hoping to just gather as much knowledge as possible on the topic. For anyone whos dealing with it. 

Uploads keep failing via my phone ill try the pc when i am home. 

I think the panic and paranoia is totally understandable and reasonable considering entire collections are possibly at risk and years of nurturing and care put into gardens only for someone un-educated, unaware or just completely ignorant of the virus to spread it and do irreversible damage to peoples sacred gardens.

Hell i know people with it in their gardens who choose to leave it there and continue to sell to others while these infected cacti are in the same and close proximity. One person and i quote said" this cactus can make me a lot of money, i'm not getting rid of it". I also saw the virus in a cacti nursery not to far from where i live, 20mins away, who has had trade relations with the person i just quoted...coincidence?

In total i know of 3 large collections just in my local area that have it present, two of which don't seem to care and continue to sell, the nursery im not sure if they are aware of it.

I think ignorance and profit/greed based at that is one of the most atrocious attitudes towards the cacti and ethnobotanical community, choosing to turn the other cheek at the potential risk of infecting and destroying peoples beloved collections and gardens. If they are aware they have the virus and not taking measures to contain it. 

People with it in their gardens that sell definitely aren't going to state so unfortunately dude, because that means they might lose $$$ and that's top priority for those types of people, they dont care about your garden.

I was given specimens with the virus a few years ago and its constantly now in the back of my mind in regards to my garden. The best approach i could offer you Messiah is to just separate like you have done and monitor and be bloody careful who you source from and any tools and utensils you use, get into a good habit of sterilizing and keeping clean knives etc.

Here are some of the pics i've had that were given to me and shrugged of as nothing to worry about when i had no idea about the risks of the virus. When this is the possible potential, i think most people will panic if they see signs of it.

From what i've seen this doesn't look like sunburn, i've had severe sunburn, nor cold, nor insect, pretty certain i've got an eye for TMV now especially seeing it in peoples gardens progress.

IMAG0281.jpg

IMAG0315.jpg

IMAG0316.jpg

IMG_2019101.jpg

IMAG0281.thumb.jpg.60f691409f0da032d9394bac7a21d8b1.jpg

IMAG0315.thumb.jpg.c3fbb9ca5e430d5b99963dc87414ed99.jpg

IMAG0316.thumb.jpg.ace1372582f914324fb0b400ab61b01d.jpg

IMG_2019101.thumb.jpg.f14b9d867ffc3147c16ee71f67399c9a.jpg

IMAG0281.thumb.jpg.60f691409f0da032d9394bac7a21d8b1.jpg

IMAG0315.thumb.jpg.c3fbb9ca5e430d5b99963dc87414ed99.jpg

IMAG0316.thumb.jpg.ace1372582f914324fb0b400ab61b01d.jpg

IMG_2019101.thumb.jpg.f14b9d867ffc3147c16ee71f67399c9a.jpg

Edited by Ajnadurga
added cacti nursery picture, last picture.
  • Thanks 1

These are the only specimens I myself am concerned with.

Thanks for the advice @Ajnadurga that whole situation sounds really complicated, i really don't understand some people, how they could morally think thats ok, takes all kinds i guess, but geez far out.

Thank you for the replies so far.

IMG_20191029_114343.jpg

IMG_20191029_114307.jpg

IMG_20191029_114451.jpg

IMG_20191029_114343.thumb.jpg.a0015a4b2a0ff17a2425849af34a6530.jpg

IMG_20191029_114307.thumb.jpg.35a3f6972116bc56dfccca0dde3e8c6c.jpg

IMG_20191029_114451.thumb.jpg.f02c69a900ebab80c30f12c8696aa7dd.jpg

IMG_20191029_114343.thumb.jpg.a0015a4b2a0ff17a2425849af34a6530.jpg

IMG_20191029_114307.thumb.jpg.35a3f6972116bc56dfccca0dde3e8c6c.jpg

IMG_20191029_114451.thumb.jpg.f02c69a900ebab80c30f12c8696aa7dd.jpg