The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Humboldt

Buying native seed online

Hi does anyone have a Aust native seed supplier they particularly like? 

Hooray for everything! 

I get stuff often from Nindethana

I've used Australian Seed also, good service

ANPSA have a good list on their website from memory

• Like 1

I haven’t used these two yet but will soon, have to move house first, yay big garden next week! Indigigrow and gregsindigenouslandscapes.

They look like plant suppliers rather than seed though so this answer might not really be what you’re looking for, I came for the other responses really “thanks Gimli”, but someone might get some use out of my drivel.

• Like 1

If by chance you are chasing any tubestock on island Humbolt I recommend Habitat Plants nursery at Liffey. Beautiful, hard grown plants... I've put a few members onto them before. 

http://www.habitatplants.com.au

Good and knowledgeable, used them personally and professionally for thousands of plants on rehab and treatment systems. 

I generate a few tas native seeds at home and the surrounds including some threatened species each year usually, depends on  what's on and processing time ect. (South esk pine, Morrisbys gum, blue pincushion ect) Happy to send ya down something:wink:

My boy is thinking about doing some seed collecting (.. Read as me collecting and processing... Lol) as he wants to raise some coin for charity..(i think for my kind of fuckedness) . So I'll be traveling about a few veg types as soon as seed comes on during the coming months as well. 

If you haven't found them there is Wildseed Tas   http://www.wildseedtasmania.com.au

Not the cheapest, but I've had good success from a few tricky species they stock. 

Whole I'm at it, there is also the Understory Network 

http://www.understorey-network.org.au

Which has a fantastic online database of seed collection times, treatments needed ect for Tassie plants:wink:

Thanks for the recommendation WB might have to take a camping trip to Liffey and check out habitat plants.  I am after tubestock but the new year should see me relocating so Ill hold off on any bulk buys.  Understory have a couple of sales a year too.  I use their database alot its been very helpful. 

Im keen to get out and do some seed collecting too this time round.  Also have a crack at striking some of the Alpine conifer species in summer now the Hartz are back open.

Have been buying from Wildseed but was looking for a plan B as well. 

Last year i grew with some local Melaleuca varieties, Lepto's, Eucs, Acacias and grasses.  The kids have a frog bog at there school so i grew some wetland species too. All with mixed success but this year im a little wiser for it.  I lost alot of 'frost tolerant' plants to frost.  

I do get alot of satisfaction from germing native seeds, I very much think of it as a pure pursuit.  Good for the soul.

• Like 1