The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
swim

How to slow Trichocereus growth indoors during summer?

Hi everyone, 

I was wondering what can one do to slow growth of trichocereus pachanoi/brdigesii/peruvianus during summer so that the plants do not get drastically etiolated when placed in front of a wall-facing windowsill? I already plan to withdraw water until the pots are bone dry, but since the temperature is going to be high overall I am not sure if this would halt the growth completely. I am going to be leaving the Oz for a month and I cannot stand the thought of my plants being stolen, therefore I will lock them in my room in front of the windowsill. 

With all being said, I would also be more than happy to transport my plants if someone is willing to keep an eye on them in a surely safe place and would gladly give away a good number of cuttings in return :)

Hey! I may be wrong but a sort of bonsai style root trimming might be the answer!

I'd get a second opinion.

Hammondville is a handful of trains tops away from me though im not sure of my movements in the coming months

• Like 1

Main factor is the temperature. The lower the temperature, the less etiolation. With that said, it's not a healthy way to grow plants long term. For a year, no problem. Every year, not good.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TheMooseZeus said:

Hammondville is a handful of trains tops away from me though im not sure of my movements in the coming months

Appreciate it man. You can always tell me if situation changes. I also know a guy who can move stuff around for very cheap for me so transportation would be fine. 

14 minutes ago, Evil Genius said:

Main factor is the temperature. The lower the temperature, the less etiolation. With that said, it's not a healthy way to grow plants long term. For a year, no problem. Every year, not good.

Ah, I suspected temperature to be the main issue as well. I know how much they like full sun and it is my preferred way to grow them. I was hoping a month would not cause excess etiolation because then I have to chop the tips which ruins a column for me. I need to leave for medical issues but once back I am to stay for a long while so no bouncing between garden and indoors.