The Corroboree
TheMooseZeus

HBWR Vine has taken over

Hey all! It's been a while, but I'm back!

I've been away (from the garden) for a little bit and Ive returned to find my HBWR way up in the trees 2+ stories high...

I definitely don't want to kill it but any ideas on how I can reduce its size? 

I'll try and get a picture without exposing my location too much ;)

It's good to be back, much love to you all

• Like 1

Welcome back :)

Mine did the same thing last year. I pruned with really long (2m?) pruner then pulled some vines down, and re-positioned them. Very tough, I was swinging on them :P

One plant I cut right back to the main chunky stem, just leaving a couple of green shoots. This year it has regrown like crazy.

Good luck!

• Like 1

On 02/09/2019 at 7:06 PM, ph7 said:

Welcome back :)

Mine did the same thing last year. I pruned with really long (2m?) pruner then pulled some vines down, and re-positioned them. Very tough, I was swinging on them :P

One plant I cut right back to the main chunky stem, just leaving a couple of green shoots. This year it has regrown like crazy.

Good luck!

Might have to borrow one of those from a friend! Still havent seen a flower on it though!

Worst case scenario i climb the tree! That might be fun :) 

• Haha 1

Haha, yeah well worth it. Mine is actually probs 3m telescopic type from Aldi. Good for cutting vines and banana leaves etc.

My plant flowered in the 3rd year from seed but not many flowers. Hoping this year will be better! Definitely likes hot weather.

You may have more luck with Rivea corymbosa - heaps of flowers on that :lol:

I got seed, if you want some lemme know.

Cheers

3 minutes ago, ph7 said:

Haha, yeah well worth it. Mine is actually probs 3m telescopic type from Aldi. Good for cutting vines and banana leaves etc.

My plant flowered in the 3rd year from seed but not many flowers. Hoping this year will be better! Definitely likes hot weather.

You may have more luck with Rivea corymbosa - heaps of flowers on that :lol:

I got seed, if you want some lemme know.

Cheers

Gotta give corymbosa another go! I got heaps of seeds last year and got very few to sprout! I'll sow some right now. Do you scarify before sowing??

Thanks so much!

Yeah awesome plant. No, I just sow as is but soaking in water for a few hours or until they swell can speed up germination. I have volunteer plants coming up from last year so they are viable all year in the ground.

Cheers :)

• Like 1

Impressive. A couple pictures would be cool... Rivea seed are also helped with filing (scarifying) . I havent sowed for long time. I miss my Argyreia.  My Argyreia flowered at 18 months from sowing.. And after a while  it was strangled by turbina.. Turbina for 2 years was producing tons of buds, but it was mid winter so it never opened them all dropped. Then mysteriously, Tubrina died. It has some 7cm wide trink at the base.  Ι  have some theories why it died, but its all theory 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sagiXsagi said:

Impressive. A couple pictures would be cool... Rivea seed are also helped with filing (scarifying) . I havent sowed for long time. I miss my Argyreia.  My Argyreia flowered at 18 months from sowing.. And after a while  it was strangled by turbina.. Turbina for 2 years was producing tons of buds, but it was mid winter so it never opened them all dropped. Then mysteriously, Tubrina died. It has some 7cm wide trink at the base.  Ι  have some theories why it died, but its all theory 

Ill do my best to take a picture today! I tried to climb a nearby tree to cut it down a little bit but that didn't get me anywhere... i soaked multiple seeds in water overnight, many floated but i planted them all, heres hoping!! :)