The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
ZooL

details when trading online?

When buying or trading online how many people here use their actual name and address?

I have always had a little paranoia of giving out my name and address online and have recently moved to a new area and am getting a PO box next week for all my online transactions, annoyingly all closest PO boxes are taken even though no one really lives around here, my only guess to why is because it's just vic side of SA/VIC border and there are so much limits about what can be mailed to SA.

But yea, I'm wondering if it's just me that doesn't like having random internet weirdoes having with my name(mail to post office) or my address(mail to house).

I sometimes write their address in the sender info. I.e. I'll send a package:

"To: P. SHERMAN

42 Wallaby Way

Sydney, 2000

42 Wallaby Way

Sydney, 2000"

This way if the address becomes illegible, they'll attempt to send it back to sender and it has a second chance of making it there.

The risk is that it will get destroyed if there is a mistake with the address.

Great idea freakosystem,

When filling in the sender info, ill put my name, mobile number and the address of my local post office. This way if the buyer needs to contact me directly, they can by phone, then if the package cant be delivered and needs to be returned, I assume the post office would call me. Not sure if this strategy would work, but it seems solid, and avoids the need to share your address.

Sadly my cactus collection was targeted by thieves almost 2 years ago. Due to my foolish, trusting nature I had shared my postage details with heaps of members for trades, giveaways, and purchases. While I don’t think I was targeted by another member here, ill never know for certain, and with the wisdom of hindsight I’d suggest being very careful who you share your details with.

Being cautious and slowly building up a network of trusted individuals your happy to trade plants with is going to work out much better in the long run, rather then sharing your details with every man and his dog just so you don’t miss out on a trading opportunity.  Once your trust in people is broken its difficult if not impossible to be restored, so its better you protect yourself from the beginning. 

• Like 1

I hate hearing things like that, I like to think those who steal are stealing more from them selves then anything they can physically take from another. 

Rotten stuff indeed. 

grind.thumb.png.f32150b0275f080f800b5627ac503c16.png