The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
woopwoop

has anyone used Coconut Water for cacti?

I've read only a few mentions of it, but apparently using coconut water for your cacti is very beneficial. Supposedly coz coconuts are seeds then all the water in it contains a plethora of vitamins, and nutrients. Apparently using it can induce lots of pupping and general good growth.

the real question is if anyone else has used it and can confirm or deny these claims.

This thread has a little bit of information. There might be more threads here too, I just couldn't be arsed searching through more than a couple of pages of results using 'coconut' in the search function. 

yes, that thread and like 1 or 2 more are all that It is really mentioned on here. I was hoping someone else might have tried it since then. I'm looking forward to trying it myself, then I can report what happened, but I gotta give these new cuttings I got some growing time before I start doing stuff like that to them

Edited by woopwoop

Groups on fb rave about it. I've tried a couple times but it's been winter, spring would probably be ideal. 

If you want pupping, just lay on the N. Urea is guaranteed to do this biz.

Agree with glaukus, urea definitely does put it up your cacti quicker but in my experience coconut water does work very well, I’d consider it slightly a slower natural way 

16 hours ago, Pedro99 said:

Groups on fb rave about it. I've tried a couple times but it's been winter, spring would probably be ideal. 

sweet, sounds like more people are doing this than i thougt

15 hours ago, Glaukus said:

If you want pupping, just lay on the N. Urea is guaranteed to do this biz.

yeah if theres one thing i learned this year it was that cacti actually do like N, esspecially from liquid blood and bone. I am still interested in coconut water as well. I want to have a good variety of different fertilizers that i can rotate around. And i like the idea of coconuts containing all the nutrients that a plant needs to grow (coconuts being seeds)

2 hours ago, Matt1208 said:

Agree with glaukus, urea definitely does put it up your cacti quicker but in my experience coconut water does work very well, I’d consider it slightly a slower natural way 

cool, how often do you usually use coconut water? like every watering or once a month or 2, or just once in a blue moon?

I tried 200ml of coconut water in a 9L watering can on about 20 trichos last summer. With all but 2 plants pushing out pups within a month or 2. I also stupidly watered some trichos i had used as grafting stocks and all of them pushed pups from the stock but I didnt notice any difference with the scions

• Like 1

holy shit lol. that's crazy. wonder why it didn't affect the grafted part as well 

Might have to try this on my Scop come warmer weather in the greenhouse.

from what i understand there are cytokinins in coconut water which are a plant growth hormone.
worth saying that you can't buy unpasteurized coconut water (or even coconuts) in australia, if you have a tree you're fine though of course.
apparently pasteurization makes them far less suitable for application to plants.

fb groups all rave about crushed aloe sp. mixed with water for pup induction too, not to mention human urine and urea as glaukus said above.

• Like 1

On 06/08/2019 at 7:06 PM, totemgoat said:

worth saying that you can't buy unpasteurized coconut water (or even coconuts) in australia, if you have a tree you're fine though of course.

We can buy whole coconuts from supermarkets here on the east side (of the country). I've scraped many for the dearly beloved wife. I'll have to steal some water next time and do some trials. I guess we could post some pure coconut water to you guys, if it's not against their rules or whatever. 

Some people on FB have asked about using tinned coconut milk etc. Not sure if I ever read a clear answer to that question, but diluted coconut milk may potentially induce some pupping.

I don't think it's just vitamins and minerals, but also plant hormones and the like in coconut water that are said to be beneficial to plants. I seem to recall having read that fresh coconut water is more biologically active than processed (to the extent that, the bottled stuff isn't worth worrying about in the garden). That said, I do occasionally add trace amounts to my plants (when rinsing a coconut-water carton, for example). And why not? 

Dare I even mention ... coconut also contains fungicidal properties?

I used coconut water from coles (when it was on special at $2.50), maybe poured about a mouthful onto my Montrose and it pupped within 3 days, also got an extra shoot with the same amount poured onto my spring onion.

I thought this was gonna be about cooking cacti in coconut water. Lol my mistake