The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
woopwoop

Is this Orange Rot? (lophs)

This is a follow up on my other thread. So all the lophs were unpotted (and god damn that soil was organic...). They were covered in Yates tomato dust for about 10 days. Then after unpotting and getting as much of the dirt off, the roots were submerged in 1% hydrogen peroxide for 15 mins, then rinsed and are now sitting unrooted for the next week.

Unfortunately, it seems all of them had these spots kinda just below the soil level, they are pretty orange almost red tbh. Do you think this is a death sentence? (or just an overreaction) Once they are potted up, they will be sprayed with Yates Anti-rot every 14 days for prob 3 months or so lol, then might switch to a different systemic fungicide and do the same. But gotta wait at least a month to do this, coz they gotta get some water before being sprayed with that stuff (waiting till spring before first water after potting).

pic 1-3: the original diseased plant, just showing better pics since now its outta the dirt (weird the roots are like that, must have been degrafted or something)

pic 4-5: showing the orange and reddish spots/gashes (2 different plants)

pic 6: all the plants in bare roots

IMG_1565.JPG

IMG_1566.JPG

IMG_1564.JPG

IMG_1566.JPG

IMG_1568.JPG

IMG_1569.JPG

IMG_1565.thumb.JPG.5942bda22f5761e9a336a3d46ba8cf77.JPG

IMG_1566.thumb.JPG.93f5206a47fb2ea7cd22a01daddac980.JPG

IMG_1564.thumb.JPG.ee3d9abe249ee3cbf47eab78efc684bf.JPG

IMG_1566.thumb.JPG.c321944888dfbcab4e0c82fbee92f6be.JPG

IMG_1568.thumb.JPG.a9ee9c64ab5089da95b33ee2cde3491a.JPG

IMG_1569.thumb.JPG.9e80fb435d682d668a11cb2890d86997.JPG

IMG_1565.thumb.JPG.5942bda22f5761e9a336a3d46ba8cf77.JPG

IMG_1566.thumb.JPG.93f5206a47fb2ea7cd22a01daddac980.JPG

IMG_1564.thumb.JPG.ee3d9abe249ee3cbf47eab78efc684bf.JPG

IMG_1566.thumb.JPG.c321944888dfbcab4e0c82fbee92f6be.JPG

IMG_1568.thumb.JPG.a9ee9c64ab5089da95b33ee2cde3491a.JPG

IMG_1569.thumb.JPG.9e80fb435d682d668a11cb2890d86997.JPG

Edited by woopwoop

Let me be blunt:

So you went against advice and combined different remedies? :(

Peroxide on the roots seems really aggressive, what were you trying to accomplish? For bugs, still.. 'just in case'?

If anything it would only be a superficial treatment anyway and if you truly had rot in those roots, this would be game over at this point afaik.

Yes it looks like rust type rot even much more than it already did to me. I sympathize but it still doesn't seem like you are respecting the kind of stress that stacks on when you try to throw on treatments this aggressively and in conjunction.

Because on the other hand yeah these lophs look pretty threatened, that doesn't mean you should apply a kneejerk reaction out of panic. I would rather make the conditions as inhospitable to something like rust as you possibly can while trying to avoid extra stress on the surely already very stressed out plant.

You could apply (acetyl)salicylic acid to try and alleviate some stress - basically aspirin works - but this is kind of a tangent, as it is only symptomatic treatment and almost palliative.

Don't suddenly throw the rudder on a boat when you are going the wrong way, you'll capsize. Try to level back. Meaning it would be better to not stack treatments but stick to the most important ones and carefully remove the factors that help rust rot.
Uprooting them well it's stressful but at least they are out of that too organic soil. I would give the roots air but not to the extent that they get dried out incredibly. Holding off with other treatments now is good, you'd better just try to halt what would help rot, before you try to make the loph more comfy again to actually grow. It's on the defensive.

When lophs are in a really bad way, it often does not get better and you can lose it. If you don't want that you would have to learn to prevent, and that also involves not biting off more than you can chew.

I started off with a pair of mature cool cacti once upon a time, and I totally botched it.. Losing plants because you make mistakes is part of the learning process. I think you are kinda in over your head in the sense that it is demanded of you now that you try and fix a very sick but mature loph. Don't get frustrated if it turns out it is too big of an ask to heal it, I think you are best off counting on losing it.

When it is not your plants, this just translates to the owner with you combined I guess. I wanna assume it was a gift or something, otherwise I don't understand why a careless actual owner would "deserve" to have this solved. You just can't expect such a plant to take care of itself and not go along learning how to.

Manage your expectations.

Also.. about the photos: some are out of focus, the last one is useless.. some of the scarring on the plants is par for the course but not red spots that develop.

As for the lophs that are actually running out of green and just go kind of crispy: it also does seem like a type of blight.

Edited by Solipsis
  • Like 2

I didn't think that people were referring to the hydrogen peroxide as being part of the 'combined experimental treatments'. I read about the hydrogen peroxide from another cactus forum (Also did this on 2 others a month ago and they are fine so far), and it was touted as being a gold standard practice in the repotting process of all cacti. And the tomato dust was already applied before asking for help (but again, this was done on 2 other cacti a month ago, and they are still fine they haven't even been watered in a month since then and they are still plump AF)

That's why once they are repotted only use yates anti rot will be used  instead of the other 2 or 3 products that was origionally gonna be used all together. so the advice was taken on board mostly. Also I didn't realize yates anti rot is only for very 4-6 weeks so that will be followed, instead of every 14 days.

All that can be done now is wait a week, repot in mineral mix, wait another 2-3 weeks before a first water in the spring, then applications of yates anti rot. 

How long do you think it would take before they died of this?

btw, they aren't my plants (I don't break the law), my friend got these from a guy on gumtree. btw, the guy from gumtree had a 20 yearold one, it was prob the size of all these ones combined, didn't have any obvious sickness (like the bad one in the pics), and it was in a wayyyy too big pot, with I assume the same type of dirt.

also I seem to have accidentally included the same pic twice, I was meant to post this one instead (its not the original sick one)

IMG_1567.JPG

IMG_1567.thumb.JPG.1076ed7f5226dea13d28f8536a942133.JPG

IMG_1567.thumb.JPG.1076ed7f5226dea13d28f8536a942133.JPG

Edited by woopwoop