The Corroboree
bogfrog

caapi care

Hi folks, I have some large caapi vines which have lost their leaves over winter.

I was thinking about cutting them back, hoping this may promote them to re-sprout once spring arrives.
How close to the soil level should I be cutting? The vines are 1.5-2m above the soil. The main stems seem healthy but wither further up.

If I was you, I'd let them be until closer to spring. When you cut them back, they'll want to shoot again. If it's still cold and miserable, the tender young shoots will suffer a lot. Dieback is ok if the main sections are thick enough.. Wait until Spring has really hit then cut back to the woody sections. I wouldn't cut right back to ground level, just back to a decent woody knuckle.

• Like 1

They drop leaf during the really cold months.  you can give it a light prune now while it's dormant which will cause no harm.   You can prune later in spring if needed. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your help.

I've moved them inside to a sunroom where they have been for the past month or so since the nasty frost arrived. But it has been a remarkably mild winter overall. 

I am with Glaukus. Dont cut back until later in a warmer part of the season. Then prune as needed for shape

Just noticed that the Ourinhos is sprouting from a couple of cm's above the soil level! 
Hey sagiXsagi, been a while! Hope you're well.

I just trimmed back the dead offshoots and kept the main stem/s

Now just waiting on Tunkunaka. I took cuttings before winter so it wouldn't break my heart entirely to loose the big one, but it would be much preferrable if it could come back to life!

• Like 1

hey , all fine here, I hope all's well by you too...

I was too lazy to keep any potted caapis alive here, I have 2 in the ground. 

I take cuttings eveyr year and I root them, only to neglect and kill later on, lol :P

cuttings can be done in any part of the year though, if you place in glass of water in the house and put heating under