The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Auxin

Do Polygonum multiflorum seeds exist anywhere?

Traditionally I've only seen this plant traded as clones. Lately there have been seeds on ebay, so I got some out of curiosity.

The seeds I got were obviously thistle seeds and didnt even remotely look like the seeds of a Polygonum, and I'm guessing that as usual all sellers on ebay are buying from the same source.

My question is, has anyone ever seen genuine seeds being sold? Or even produced on plants?

I've seen the seeds in botanical drawings so I know the plant produces them, even if it is generally propagated by cloning, but as with any very commercial and trendy plant its been hard to find any solid information on the plant itself.

I’ve never come across seed. 

They exist, and are freely available.  E-bay and the like are filled with...substitute things of a dubious nature when it comes to seeds.

If you are actually in the U.S., then order from Strictly Medicinal.  The nursery owner is a well known author of some books on growing medicinal herbs, and I've had no problems with them (other than delivery times to .au).

https://strictlymedicinalseeds.com/product/solomons-seal-multi-flowered-polygonatum-multiflorum-packet-of-10-seeds-copy/

If you're actually in Australia, then All Rare Herbs would be the place to go, they have them, and tend to source decently, for the most part.

Thanks for pointing that out, when I started this thread Strictly Medicinal didnt have seeds!

And the trash sold on ebay turned out to be thistle seeds :lol:

By default I expect most ebay seeds to be fraudulent. You just have to look at whats offered: mushroom seeds, saffron seeds (saffron has never been capable of making seeds), seeds of rare and photoshoped hybrid roses and glow in the dark blue watermelons. Ebay seeds are always a gamble, and ebay seeds from asian sellers are always a bad gamble :wink:

Edit to mention the Centella asiatica seed I got from Strictly Medicinal were viable :)

...and naturally the ones from ebay were fraudulent.

Edited by Auxin

Mmm, I have on the odd occasion or six, sent out for seed on E-bay.  If they show pictures of it, I'm often on safe ground, or if it seeds easily, but I can't get it here.

Just had moths destroy my store of Celastrus panniculatus seed, so it might be back to ebay for that.  You haven't seen any Smilax glysiphylla seed out there by any chance?  The stuff is fairly easy to get hold of further north, but nigh impossible in Victoria.