The Corroboree
sillysyban

What is this and how do I treat it?

Hey All,

Can someone tell me what this is and how I treat it?

Also if you can ID the cactus that would be extra awesome.

Cheers.

A8D4B915-4BED-4968-8860-D5D288BDDD82.jpeg

A8D4B915-4BED-4968-8860-D5D288BDDD82.thumb.jpeg.020ca477aa383863b7dc3e5c8a1a7918.jpeg

A8D4B915-4BED-4968-8860-D5D288BDDD82.thumb.jpeg.020ca477aa383863b7dc3e5c8a1a7918.jpeg

Looks like two obvious issues: scale and fungal infection, maybe phytopthera.

Treat the scale by brushing them off with a toothbrush, you can use a little isopropyl alcohol/water mixture with a drop of detergent if you like too.

For the fungal issue, I'd get something like Yates anti rot -its a systemic fungicide using phosphorus acid so it's quite safe.

As for the ID, I'd be leaning towards a cuzcoensis but would need a better pic of the base of the central spines. Cuzcoensis has a distinctive flared base of the central spines.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Glaukus said:

Looks like two obvious issues: scale and fungal infection, maybe phytopthera.

Treat the scale by brushing them off with a toothbrush, you can use a little isopropyl alcohol/water mixture with a drop of detergent if you like too.

For the fungal issue, I'd get something like Yates anti rot -its a systemic fungicide using phosphorus acid so it's quite safe.

As for the ID, I'd be leaning towards a cuzcoensis but would need a better pic of the base of the central spines. Cuzcoensis has a distinctive flared base of the central spines.

scale yes , fungal yes. not phytophthora though.  IMO the scale has caused a fungal attack by damaging the skin.  

Edited by motherfirefly
  • Like 1

It's a Scale infection and secondary scarring because of the Scale. Treating the scale with a pesticide should give the plant some time to recover. 

Awesome. Thanks guys. Can you recommend a good product for this?

10 hours ago, Evil Genius said:

It's a Scale infection and secondary scarring because of the Scale. Treating the scale with a pesticide should give the plant some time to recover. 

killing the scale will not stop the fungal infection. You need to control both.

1 hour ago, sillysyban said:

Awesome. Thanks guys. Can you recommend a good product for this?

@Glaukus mentioned a few methods in the above comment.   You could also buy yates brand lime sulphur from bunnings. this stuff will kill your scale and will slow down or even kill the fungal infection. repeat in 14 days.  this product can only be used in winter.