The Corroboree
Mosh

Incense

Used the SE and was surprised there were no results.

Does anyone have a favorite incense for healing or pleasure?

Hi Mosh, forgive my ignorance but whats SE?  Ive been experimenting a little with making incense.  Have tried some different spirit blends like Calea Z, Tricho and Loph blended with makko.  Syrian rue, mopacho blends just with charcol blocks.  Interesting for meditation and inviting plants into your conciousness.

I love resins like copal, myrrh and palo santo.  The thick smoke is beautiful, i like to cleanse and honour my plants and rapee with the resins.  The tibetan incense via the SAB shop is interesting and nice too.

Would love to try making a caapi blend with dried leaf next.  If anyone can help with supplying some please let me know, would be awesome.

Kindness H

• Like 1

Be careful with incense with unknown 'herbs'.

SE=search engine.

Traditionally Tibetans in Tibet have used Datura seeds and Wormwood for the big public Dharma transmissions, to get people in the mood.

I find both these herbs very satisfying as incenses.

Of course, Datura smoke is not only used as a psychoactive, but as an effective anti-asthmatic.

Syrian rue is a traditional Persian incense, used at weddings to get the nuptials in the mood.

In Japanese Zen temples Patchouli is a standard ingredient to calm the body/mind for sitting meditation.

The Arabs use Agarwood as a psychoactive incense, I find it excellent to induce sleep.

There's so much more, only scratching the surface, but for those interested check out Olfactory Rescue Service.

• Like 2

Sandalwood is one of my favourite incenses. Myrrh and frankincense also. I find lemongrass very uplifting.

Haven't tried lemongrass as an incense, I'll give it a go when I need a lift.

Sandalwood is the one I use late afternoon, to unwind. In Ayurveda, considered as a cooling herb.

Frankincense & Myrrh, the incenses brought by the wise men for baby Jesus. Frankincense represents purity,

Myrrh suffering. Myrrh is my all time favorite incense resin, unfortunately can't get fresh in Oz. and it needs to

be fresh to get the full benefits of this one. Apothecarysgarden is the best source for everything resinous, I'm

just amazed at how the Canadians are so advanced with this sort of work.

Uses and abuses of plant derived smoke may be of interest :wink:

http://booksdescr.org/item/index.php?md5=2F658C9579BB7F2A3DDC418939DA2242

@Humbolt

There is some stuff on incense making if you work out how to get about libgen.io 

Edited by waterboy 2.0

Somewhat related, but is there any evidence that using incense indoors in confined rooms is harmful to humans/pets?

I love incense but I'm always weary of using it excessively

I used to overdo it, dried my dog's nose. Now I tend to use Japanese incenses for smaller confined spaces (as they were designed for), can even get smokeless Japanese incense. I use Bakhoor and Indian (designed for open temples in India) in more open situations, or burn before entering a space.

On 07/07/2019 at 10:32 PM, Humbolt said:

Hi Mosh, forgive my ignorance but whats SE?  

Man thats an example of nightshift brain right there!!

On 08/07/2019 at 4:50 PM, waterboy 2.0 said:

On 08/07/2019 at 4:50 PM, waterboy 2.0 said:

Uses and abuses of plant derived smoke may be of interest :wink:

http://booksdescr.org/item/index.php?md5=2F658C9579BB7F2A3DDC418939DA2242

@Humbolt

There is some stuff on incense making if you work out how to get about libgen.io 

Thanks WB managed to wrangle a version. 

Great info @Mosh.  Keen to follow up on some of your points. Thanks for starting the thread. 

5 hours ago, squidgygoanna said:

Somewhat related, but is there any evidence that using incense indoors in confined rooms is harmful to humans/pets?

I love incense but I'm always weary of using it excessively

I think any smoke is probably harmful if you're breathing enough of it regularly. Wood fires for cooking are a major source of cancers in the world where they are common.

I mostly use an essential oil burner for indoors if the doors and windows are closed. It's great because you can really tailor a blend of EOs to your mood at the time, and there's no smoky residue left on walls or ceilings.

I'm a big fan of cedarwood and rosemary oil as a blend. Also I love lemon oil for an uplifting mood bump.

Having a hot bath with essential oils is so good.

• Like 1

Good point Glaukus,

EO's are great, but do miss the whole plant benefits, especially for baths, e.g eucalyptus oil is not as effective (medicinally) as the whole leaf.

BTW, I've burned incense all my life, always had a solid fuel heater, I used to smoke filter-less rollies and other high tech smoking instruments.

Had a pulmonary perfusion CT scan the other day, mild emphysema in the upper lobes of both lungs was found, an incidental finding for my presentation,

not clinically relevant.

I'm not saying that smoke is safe, but common sense in my case has only resulted in a dry dog's nose, and lots of enjoyment for me!

i use essential oils since i have a kid running around, theyre expensive and often cut down with other oils as essential oils take a lot of plant material to produce, im looking into experimenting by slightly heating different oils slightly with flowers/herbs to try and infuse the oil, first drunk attempt yielded deep fried rose petals and lavender flowers, anyone have any info if this would be viable or a waste of time ? i much prefer burning the sticks and cones but the little fire hazard loves to play with them :BANGHEAD2:

1 hour ago, Matt1208 said:

first drunk attempt yielded deep fried rose petals and lavender flowers

Maybe an electric infuser if you're not already using one.  I prefer the waterless ones.  They dont generate as much heat, safe, cheap to run.

• Like 1

An electric incense heater can be used for any plant material without the smoke. I use it mainly for resins, and woody material (sandalwood, agarwood), but flowers leaves etc also work quite well.

• Like 1

Burning some Australian Sandalwood atm. Just lovely!

Will retire to bed with a little plantation grown Agarwood. Just lovely!

Hey, where are all the Nag Champa heads gone?

HI @Mosh, Trent here from Grandawood, SE leads me to this page

I did not know you are in this forum too. are you Mr M_k?

Since you are interested in incense, would you be interested in shop agarwood chips too?

Currently, we have our cultivated oil and incenses (buy 2 get 1 free)  on special for Black Friday, Buy 2 get 1 Free (and Free Shipping if over $70) :)