The Corroboree
Ancient

Cultivation of glowing mushrooms (ABC news article)

"You can buy spores or mycelium [the bacterial colony of a fungus], but if you want to do it organically, you need to find a ghost mushroom and create a spore print," Ms Thomas said.

Oh no! Somebody didn't learn their kingdoms of life...

Has anybody successfully fruited Omohalotus nidiformis? A friend had a good culture going and innoculated many logs as well as filter patch bags as per the morphologically similar Pluerotus species and whilst the mycelium was very aggressive, they never fruited.

On 23/06/2019 at 12:29 AM, Freakosystem said:

Oh no! Somebody didn't learn their kingdoms of life...

I'm lichen that one more and more

On 23/06/2019 at 12:29 AM, Freakosystem said:

Has anybody successfully fruited Omohalotus nidiformis? A friend had a good culture going and innoculated many logs as well as filter patch bags as per the morphologically similar Pluerotus species and whilst the mycelium was very aggressive, they never fruited.

Same same.

Though there might be one here trying to fruit on the agar plate ( could also be contam, discolouration from inoculation point tho and never seen this particular effect before )

Will post if it does fruit

Yeah i have friends who have already grown them, i haven't had a chance yet but do have cultures of Omphalotus nidiformis and Panellus stipticus.

Great for time lapse photography, but often it can be kinda faint to really enjoy with the naked eye. Still incredible tho!

I wonder whether LC works.. for one of those species no i think it's just the gills that luminesce.

Edited by Solipsis

On 14/07/2019 at 11:58 AM, Solipsis said:

wonder whether LC works.. for one of those species no i think it's just the gills that luminesce.

LC of Panellus doesn't glow IME, but I did only try it in one media. Other media could work

Thanks, good to know :)

Got a culture of this in my fridge but I haven't had the time to try and grow it. Might do that this weekend.

Would anyone be willing to sell or trade a Panellus culture?