The Corroboree
Caster

Australia is headed down a dark path

https://np.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/bwksx4/the_australian_federal_police_have_raided_the/epylt8a/

When you take a step back and look at everything that has been going on in Australia it is very worrying...

For example:

-Random strip searches in some of our cities.

-Metadata collection on all of our internet useage (such as website visited etc).

-Opt-out only online medical records.

-laws forcing companies to create backdoors in their software so people can be monitored. 

What can we do to change the current trajectory? I feel a bit hopeless, there are so many opportunities being created which open up everyone to potentially be abused if either the government. or anyone else who manages to get a hold of this data. desires to.

Stuff like this used to be a bit of a conspiracy theory, people would even laugh imagining it... Now, look where we are. Its all very very real and has the potential to be abused. 

Edited by Caster
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Facial recognition software is now in use in the Perth CBD which gives me concerns about profiling, privacy, and general freedoms.

It all seems a bit bleak/dystopic, but it is important to remember there will also be people who will create new technologies for good, and ensure new/other technologies are used for good.
Hopefully for the greater population these good people are enough.

I can certainly see this sort of thing becoming an important political issue over the next few elections.
Though, I will say i had hoped that by now most people were a little less worried about negative gearing than they were about climate, artificial intelligence & the possibility of encroachment on political/social freedoms.

• Like 2

This is scary stuff indeed for anyone that can remember a world without the World wide web of internets. 

But perhaps the youngins that have been born into a world under these controls would not have the same fears, even if those fears should be felt. They have been brought up in a different world, conditioned by the advertising companies that keep them wanting the next upgrade without reading the fine print.

It's going to get worse before it gets better, and it's not getting better till it all falls down

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Average Joe said:

This is scary stuff indeed for anyone that can remember a world without the World wide web of internets. 

But perhaps the youngins that have been born into a world under these controls would not have the same fears, even if those fears should be felt. They have been brought up in a different world, conditioned by the advertising companies that keep them wanting the next upgrade without reading the fine print.

It's going to get worse before it gets better, and it's not getting better till it all falls down

You're spot on with that last comment... Before anything like this changes there always is some sort of scandal or something awful happening. I hate to imagine what that might be. 

• Like 1

The Australian people voted for this clusterfuck.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Heading down? I think the 'heading' has been going on for some time now... :unsure:

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

On 11/06/2019 at 12:21 PM, Caster said:

https://np.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/bwksx4/the_australian_federal_police_have_raided_the/epylt8a/

When you take a step back and look at everything that has been going on in Australia it is very worrying...

For example:

-Random strip searches in some of our cities.

-Metadata collection on all of our internet useage (such as website visited etc).

-Opt-out only online medical records.

-laws forcing companies to create backdoors in their software so people can be monitored. 

What can we do to change the current trajectory? I feel a bit hopeless, there are so many opportunities being created which open up everyone to potentially be abused if either the government. or anyone else who manages to get a hold of this data. desires to.

Stuff like this used to be a bit of a conspiracy theory, people would even laugh imagining it... Now, look where we are. Its all very very real and has the potential to be abused. 

Add to that list the right to our freedom of speech Is also a thing of the past as has been demonstrated by the whole Israel Falau saga.

Weather one agrees with his views or not it shouldn't even matter at this point because where do we go from here ? This is full on science fiction stuff that is turning very real.

Edited by Calaverite
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Calaverite said:

Add to that list the right to our freedom of speech Is also a thing of the past as has been demonstrated by the whole Israel Falau saga.

Weather one agrees with his views or not it shouldn't even matter at this point because where do we go from here ? This is full on science fiction stuff that is turning very real.

Please don't mistake "freedom of speech" with "freedom from consequences". 

He signed a legal contract willingly, then deliberately broke the terms of the contract even though he had been given warning so I fail to see how this is even relevant. If he didn't like the terms of the contract he signed he shouldn't have signed it and made millions of dollars for chasing a ball around a field.

• Like 5

I take your point Glaukus but respectfully disagree. 

Contracts are broken all of the time with no consequence especially when one has the financial means to break a contract they are not even worth the paper they were written on.

Btw we are born on the same day.

• Like 1

Shazam! Brothers from another mother? :huh:

Back on topic, yeah fukd shit is fucd bro :angry:

• Haha 1

Respect your respectful disagreement, however, I still don't see the relevance as this was a purely commercial contract, nothing to do with Australian law or criminal codes.

• Like 1

Freedom of speech is always going to be debatable. It's a double edged sword. On one side you have someones right to say what ever they like regardless of how it effects others. On the other, you have someones right to live free of discrimination and persecution simply based on someone else's opinion. I agree with Glaukus though. This footy fellas case doesn't seem to have much to do with freedom of speech. No one has silenced him. He is still saying the same stuff now. However in doing so he has breached a commercial contract, along with the terms of agreement from that funding thingo. if he ends up in court for breaking the Australian law of 'inciting hatred' then we might get some freedom of speech debate going, but I think he would loose that one too. Not just because of what he said, it's more to do with how large his platform is.

I guess we will both see the relevance if his lawyers use Australian law to win. 

25 minutes ago, Crop said:

Freedom of speech is always going to be debatable. It's a double edged sword. On one side you have someones right to say what ever they like regardless of how it effects others. On the other, you have someones right to live free of discrimination and persecution simply based on someone else's opinion. I agree with Glaukus though. This footy fellas case doesn't seem to have much to do with freedom of speech. No one has silenced him. He is still saying the same stuff now. However in doing so he has breached a commercial contract, along with the terms of agreement from that funding thingo. if he ends up in court for breaking the Australian law of 'inciting hatred' then we might get some freedom of speech debate going, but I think he would loose that one too. Not just because of what he said, it's more to do with how large his platform is.

Honestly I just think everyone needs to stop being so damned precious... a man lost his job because he said homos and atheists are going to hell ffs (who cares).

Now we have this bullshit gender neutral crap going on. I'm sorry but the genetailia you're born with determine gender you don't get to choose...

Mate I certainly don't care, you seem to though. Like I said this seems to be a contractual dispute. I don't know how gender neutrality comes in to it. I was talking about international human rights and Australian law. You do realise freedom of speech is not law in Australia? Though it is implied in article 19 of international human rights. Article 14 covers peoples rights to be free from discrimination. Some people argue that they conflict, however no human right can overturn another. Put simply this overpaid jock can cry all he likes. His right to free speech can never overturn someones right to live free from discrimination. That is unless there is local laws that overrides human rights. In this case a signed contract he knowingly broke. Are you arguing that because he is famous he should not be bound by the same laws or even by basic human rights? 

• Like 2

I guess we will both see the relevance if his lawyers use Australian law to win. 

A lot of laws are pretty stupid but the human rights have been thought out pretty well. While this fella is getting paid millions to chase a ball around. I work with a lot of children and families who are dealing with child suicide. Try and imagine a 14 year old boy who just happens to of been born gay. Now this hypothetical boy was also born into a strict christian family. Mate I find all this superstition bizarre, yet there are a lot of people who take all this heaven and hell stuff seriously. Now imagine this boys biggest hero is some meathead footballer who doesn't have enough grey matter to know when to keep his bigotry to him self. Do you see where I am going? This sort of shit is incredibly common. Personally think sports people as role modals is just asking for trouble.

• Like 4

Sorry I'm no lawyer I was just adding to the thread and didnt intend on being crucified by long time members.

Anyway my point was if you haven't even got freedom of speech a dark path is ahead :crux:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Crop said:

A lot of laws are pretty stupid but the human rights have been thought out pretty well. While this fella is getting paid millions to chase a ball around. I work with a lot of children and families who are dealing with child suicide. Try and imagine a 14 year old boy who just happens to of been born gay. Now this hypothetical boy was also born into a strict christian family. Mate I find all this superstition bizarre, yet there are a lot of people who take all this heaven and hell stuff seriously. Now imagine this boys biggest hero is some meathead footballer who doesn't have enough grey matter to know when to keep his bigotry to him self. Do you see where I am going? This sort of shit is incredibly common. Personally think sports people as role modals is just asking for trouble.

Understood but it's the media driven by greed and headlines at any cost that are the fuel for everything going wrong these days IMO , maybe they are the ones who should be held accountable. 

• Like 1

maybe they are the ones who should be held accountable. 

That would probably solve a lot.

• Like 1

Anyway my point was if you haven't even got freedom of speech a dark path is ahead :crux:

Sorry mate,:innocent_n: didn't mean to come across so harsh. I agree with the free speech stuff. Right up to the point where that speech starts to infringe on someone else's human rights.

• Like 1

Yeah man, I was treading lightly to be honest too. I didn't think I was crucifying anyone, just stating a few points of view without emotion. Sorry if I came across as harsh too.

I'm not. Fukd shit is fukd. I stand by my statement, harsh as it is.

• Like 3

On 11/06/2019 at 10:21 AM, Caster said:

What can we do to change the current trajectory?

If you have the means and time, find a group that shares your views and get active. History shows us that time and again, the major shifts in society and social thinking happen largely through demonstration and agitation.

I'm involved with a few group where we have been effective in orchestrating minor changes that contribute to a nation-wide acknowledgement of issues.

• Like 2