The Corroboree
Caster

Australia is headed down a dark path

Posted (edited)

https://np.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/bwksx4/the_australian_federal_police_have_raided_the/epylt8a/

When you take a step back and look at everything that has been going on in Australia it is very worrying...

For example:

-Random strip searches in some of our cities.

-Metadata collection on all of our internet useage (such as website visited etc).

-Opt-out only online medical records.

-laws forcing companies to create backdoors in their software so people can be monitored. 

What can we do to change the current trajectory? I feel a bit hopeless, there are so many opportunities being created which open up everyone to potentially be abused if either the government. or anyone else who manages to get a hold of this data. desires to.

Stuff like this used to be a bit of a conspiracy theory, people would even laugh imagining it... Now, look where we are. Its all very very real and has the potential to be abused. 

Edited by Caster
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Facial recognition software is now in use in the Perth CBD which gives me concerns about profiling, privacy, and general freedoms.

It all seems a bit bleak/dystopic, but it is important to remember there will also be people who will create new technologies for good, and ensure new/other technologies are used for good.
Hopefully for the greater population these good people are enough.

I can certainly see this sort of thing becoming an important political issue over the next few elections.
Though, I will say i had hoped that by now most people were a little less worried about negative gearing than they were about climate, artificial intelligence & the possibility of encroachment on political/social freedoms.

• Like 2

This is scary stuff indeed for anyone that can remember a world without the World wide web of internets. 

But perhaps the youngins that have been born into a world under these controls would not have the same fears, even if those fears should be felt. They have been brought up in a different world, conditioned by the advertising companies that keep them wanting the next upgrade without reading the fine print.

It's going to get worse before it gets better, and it's not getting better till it all falls down

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Average Joe said:

This is scary stuff indeed for anyone that can remember a world without the World wide web of internets. 

But perhaps the youngins that have been born into a world under these controls would not have the same fears, even if those fears should be felt. They have been brought up in a different world, conditioned by the advertising companies that keep them wanting the next upgrade without reading the fine print.

It's going to get worse before it gets better, and it's not getting better till it all falls down

You're spot on with that last comment... Before anything like this changes there always is some sort of scandal or something awful happening. I hate to imagine what that might be. 

• Like 1

The Australian people voted for this clusterfuck.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Must be time to Live like Legends .................................... wink wink

http://www.ultrakulture.com/

• Like 1

Heading down? I think the 'heading' has been going on for some time now... :unsure:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1