The Corroboree
Pedro99

Fungus killing worms in my garden

Hi guys, over the past couple weeks I've noticed this grey mycelium/mould stuff spreading on some cow poo in my garden. About 3 days ago I saw a dead worm on top of it after a small amount of rain. Today there are now at least 8 dead worms where the growth was (it's wet now so not visible. I'll attach a pic of when I first noticed it. 

Question is, should I shovel it out and toss it somewhere?  Spray it with vinegar? Or just leave it be? 

IMG20190522145634_50p.jpg

IMG20190522145634_50p.thumb.jpg.e04860ed37ce66a1c29f1d6eebcb68f1.jpg

IMG20190522145634_50p.thumb.jpg.e04860ed37ce66a1c29f1d6eebcb68f1.jpg

Nice question!

Could it be that the cow poo came from cows that had recently been drenched and it mightn't be the fungus directly killing the worms but the cow poo instead?

Personally I wouldn't worry about a garden fungus, the weather changes to favour whatever appropriate species is around and I find that single species generally don't predominate for long before they're replaced

When I find garden mycoflora that appears to be damaging my plants long term I hit the area with a soil probiotic spray and do the plants as a foliar spray as well. Repeat apply for a few weeks to see if there's results. They're organic inspired, most contain a blend of beneficial bacterial and fungal starter colonies so there's always something in there to reclaim the ground, roots and plants from pathogens

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply Darklight.

I will leave it be and hope it works itself out. In the meantime I will give the worms a proper burial, I always hated impaling them on hooks when I used to fish. :(

On 05/06/2019 at 11:32 PM, Pedro99 said:

I will leave it be and hope it works itself out.

It will. Is it still happening?

On 05/06/2019 at 11:32 PM, Pedro99 said:

In the meantime I will give the worms a proper burial, I always hated impaling them on hooks when I used to fish. :(

Relax and let the fungus do it's work, burying them is overkill and just means you work so different fungus can get them, only you don't have to see it

The fungus will take us all one day, as will the bacteria and all the other little critters. Is how it's sposed to be